The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Cleaning Synthetic Fleece (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/cleaning-synthetic-fleece-29409/)

Scoutrider 06-11-2009 09:45 AM

Cleaning Synthetic Fleece

My green horse, who I have been riding (English) with a shaped leather girth, recently started rubbing a raw spot along his girthline. I caught it early, and I am treating the rub and giving Scout some time to fully heal before I resume riding, but I want to start back out with a fuzzy fleece girth, hopefully to better protect his girthline from future rubbing. I do have one, but it needs some cleaning. I don't want to aggravate any more sores with a dirty girth. The thing is all synthetic, with a nylon strap and permanently attached synthetic fleece covering everything that touches the horse. What is the best way to clean this and keep it intact and in good condition? Would it perhaps be a better idea to buy a long fleece "girth sock" for the shaped leather girth and just throw that in the washing machine after I ride instead? Thanks for your input :-)!

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-11-2009 09:49 AM

I wash my fleece by hand with soap and sit it out to dry. A fleece girth sock wouldn't hurt... it would probably be a little more comfy for your boy.

My Beau 06-11-2009 10:12 AM

If the whole girth is made of the "nylon strap", like this: Ovation Dri-Lex Equalizer Girth - Dover Saddlery.

I just toss them in the washing machine. Just make sure there are saddle pads or something else in it at the same time so the buckles aren't too loud.

iridehorses 06-11-2009 10:26 AM

I've used Woolite on both synthetics and natural fibers. You just need to make sure that whatever you use, you get all the soap out.

luvs2ride1979 06-11-2009 05:55 PM

Use a dog slicker brush to brush out the fleece and loose dirt/debris. Then load the whole thing into your washing machine with gentle detergent, oxi-clean, and fabric softener. Wash it on a short cycle, then lay it out to dry (or hang it from the non-elastic end).