The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Ways to get a horses butt under them? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ways-get-horses-butt-under-them-29425/)

Bia 06-11-2009 02:53 PM

Ways to get a horses butt under them?

My instructor said she wanted me to move my horse's butt under him when trotting. How do I do this? That or how do I bring his hind legs forward? She said to squeeze with leg but I didn't notice any difference. help? :shock:

MyBoyPuck 06-11-2009 07:18 PM

Read the thread above you titled "getting that nose tucked in". She is also trying to get her horse to engage his hind end better.

Basically your instructor is talking about half halts, but the other thread has a lot of useful answers that will help you.

Ahsisi 06-12-2009 07:29 PM

It all comes from the leg. You want to push your horse forward but not faster. You have to keep a feel on his mouth (a soft one) and push from the leg. You want to feel him reaching up underneath himself with his hind end. You want to feel impulsion coming from his hind end, instead of him just poking along dragging his toes. You need to feel like he is working, not just trotting. You will feel it once you get it. Good luck!

dmb2389 06-22-2009 11:42 PM

My trainer is all about this. You can push your horse up under you into your hands from your leg. Usually causing them to bridle and round their back.

My trainer has been riding with a world class western trainer. Best way to build a horses back end... backing. Not being mean and beating your horse in the face until they run backward but teaching your horse to back quickly with their head down and back end engaged. It has done a world of good for my horse. It builds back muscles needed for a horse to carry himself.

And when I say back I don't mean six steps, I mean laps around the arena. Wont be easy but it's worth it.

barefoot 06-22-2009 11:56 PM

Basically wake him up. He doesn't have to necessarily go faster, but you can tell when a horse is awake and when he isn't.

HorseShowJumperGirl 06-23-2009 12:22 AM

You want to squeeze with your leg, but keep slight pressure on the horses mouth and collect him/her.