The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   OMG!!! Chance of a lifetime!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/omg-chance-lifetime-29436/)

Lonestar22 06-11-2009 05:45 PM

OMG!!! Chance of a lifetime!!!

Sorry it's kinda long but i have alot to say!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: I'm so excited!!!!! So yesterday and today were awesome!!!!!!!!!! My friend was looking for a trainer for her horse.....she wants him to learn sliding stops rollbacks pivots reinging....all that jazz...Yesterday..well we go over to the trainers house and he shows us all his horses and then asks my favorite question "Wanna ride?" as he gets out this GORGEOUS (thick stout well muscled beautifully marked bald faced) 8 y/o paint mare that has been caught up for about a week after being out to pasture for a year due to injury. uh hell yeah I wanna ride. He gets us to tack her up, lounge her, all the while showings us tips on how to do it better and I could actually feel the horse respond to me more and more. Well we get to ride. And I fell in love with that mare. she was so willing and responsive. She could turn on a dime bends around your legs has the smoothest lope and great sliding stop! Now I have never ridden to a sliding stop before so he showed me how to sit deep and not to lean back and to use my seat commands. as i got the hang of it I could see and feel her responding better and sitting more into the slide stop. I was SOOOO proud of myself!!!! I really like how the guy (Joe) made us do stuff for ourselfs. when we were done he said " I didnt ride this horse. Yall did. You untack her and wash her off." He doesnt baby the horses and he wont let you but he is not mean either. Also he wants you to learn.

TODAY!!!!!!
We go back today so he can evaluate my friends horses. He was extremely honest and told her that he shouldnt be used for what she wants. Even i could tell that once i saw him in the arena. He's a kid's trail horses. One who would rather walk the trails than lope a weastern pleasure patern. So he askes us if we want to help him with some of his 3 y/o he has just started. One he said has only been ridden 3 times. Hell yeah we wanna help!!!!!!!!!! he askes us to each get the horse he wants and bring it to the arena. we do so and he tells use little hints to keep us safer because they are young horses and are unpredictable. we groom and saddle them then we go to a round pen. We are only working one horse at a time. He shows us how to lounge and get the colts to work with us. I have never learned so much in a day. We both got to work with each horse so we got more experiance than with just one. We actually got to get on them. All we did was ride circles in a small pen working on their stops and flexing but I learned so much. It was prolly one of the greatest days of my life!!!!! And he said he's thinking about letting us start a colt from scratch. With his help and advice. I'm so excited and cant wait until sunday when I go back.

mom2pride 06-11-2009 05:58 PM

Sounds like you have had an exciting two days :D

EveningShadows 06-11-2009 06:08 PM

That's awesome! Glad you had so much fun and learned so much! I love being around other trainers and just taking in everything they care to share, make of it what I will later, but just to gain knowledge!

I hope everything works out for you and that you're able to continue helping him with his youngsters! Best of luck! :D

Lonestar22 06-12-2009 11:42 AM

next time we are out there we are riding his older horses and ponying the colts around. I cant wait!

AussieDaisyGirl 06-12-2009 12:05 PM

That is definitely very cool. You can never learn enough!

jwhisperj 06-12-2009 10:09 PM

Lucky girl! Not very many folks get the opportunity to get free tips and training and ride amazing horses!! Have fun!

Lonestar22 06-13-2009 01:52 AM

We are helping him do some stuff he might not be able to do alone. He is a one man operation and has been in the horse business for 48 years. He as tons of stories to tell with each bit of advice he gives. He will give you a tip and follow with "when i was training racehorses ....." or "One time while working my ranch in Flordia" he mentioned something about getting out of the business and i think he wants to pass his knowledge along before he does.