The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Scoring in walk-trot Hack/Hunter. (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/scoring-walk-trot-hack-hunter-294378/)

QueenCheval 10-14-2013 11:15 AM

Scoring in walk-trot Hack/Hunter.

Hello everyone! I got back from my first show a few days ago. I competed in the walk-trot division, in two Hack classes, and an equitation one. For my first show, I think I did pretty good! I ended up with a 6th place ribbon in my first Hack, a Reserve in Equitation, and didn't place in the last Hack.
I personally think I rode better than I did in my usual lessons, and was kinda surprised when I didn't place that well.
WAIT! I'm not complaining about my placing, I know that for my first show, I shouldn't expect first, second or even fifth place ribbons.
But, does the judge deduct points if your horse whinnies or neighs during the class? My mare was separated from her boyfriend, and wouldn't stop calling out. She was still listening, and was actually more responsive and active during the show. Just wouldn't stop neighing the whole time! My friend told me that sometimes judges don't like talkative horses, and I thought maybe that had something to do with my place. (But my friend is a farm guy, and doesn't know a lot about horses!)

Thanks everyone!

QueenCheval 11-23-2013 03:54 PM

Nobody...? No active hunters out there?

jumanji321 11-23-2013 05:27 PM

I can see a judge placing you lower if your horse neighs, especially if the horse is being judged in the class. I know a lot of people who consider neighing to be a disobedience because it means the horse is not necessarily paying attention to you.

littleequestrianthings 12-25-2013 10:05 PM

considering that hunters is all about the horse and some judges can be very particular, I can believe the judge would give you a lower score which results in lower placing. Typically a horse doesn't look to great when its letting out a neigh, so if the judge sees...