The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Braid for clinic? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/braid-clinic-29447/)

MyBoyPuck 06-11-2009 08:47 PM

Braid for clinic?

We're having Tim Malin to our barn this weekend for a dressage clinic. Most of us are lower level riders and this is our first opportunity to school under a grand prix level rider. Is there any unwritten rule out there about braiding manes when it comes to something like a clinic? It's not like a show, but at the same time it is a higher profile event than I normally do. Any thoughts?

Skyhuntress 06-11-2009 08:51 PM

this one is kinda up in the air, because ive attended clinics where I've braided, and where I have not braided.

I would think since all of you are lower level, it would be perfectly acceptable to come to the clinic without braids-so long as the mane is nicely pulled and brushed

MIEventer 06-11-2009 08:57 PM

You don't have to braid. I've ridden in clinics under Olympic Level Eventers and never braided, and I've audited Dressage Clinics taught by Spannish Riding School Bereiters Herbert Seiberl and a Prix Saint George Dressage Competator named Sarah Hughes - and not one of the clinitians braided.

Just be sure your horse is well groomed. Mane is clean and presentable. Tack clean.

The most common apparel I see for Dressage Clinics is black breeches or tan, polo top and vest. Depending weather.

HAVE A BLAST!!!! Listen, ask questions when you can and observe. Get lots of piccies! I am excited for you!

StormyBlues 06-11-2009 09:15 PM

I would braid, just my opnion, I ALWAYS braid for that kind of stuff. I like to make a nice first impression, espessially with such estemied riders! Good luck and have fun! And like MIE tack lots of pics and vids!

MyBoyPuck 06-11-2009 09:25 PM

Yeah, I do want him to look his best for his moment in the sun. Now I just have to find someone who can show me how to braid in the next 24 hours...hee hee. I'm braiding challenged. It's part of why I find eventing so appealing.

StormyBlues 06-11-2009 09:29 PM

Here, I made a video on it!

MyBoyPuck 06-11-2009 09:40 PM

Thanks for the video Stormyblues! I think I can handle the rubber band braids. I tried the sewn in ones once and it was a train wreck. He'll look so cute in those little nubby braids!

StormyBlues 06-11-2009 09:41 PM

Take piccies! :D

eventerdrew 06-11-2009 09:48 PM

I personally wouldn't braid. I can almost guarantee that the clinician isn't expecting it. Unless you are doing like a demo ride for an expo, I wouldn't. Like MIEventer has done, I have cliniced under Buck Davidson, Phillip Dutton, Michael Beining, and Moray Nicholson and no one was braided for any part of the two day clinics.

riccil0ve 06-11-2009 11:36 PM

I would braid, but mostly because my horse REALLY doesn't like it when her hair gets in her ears. o_O

If you DO braid, I wouldn't worry about anything fancy. My personal favorite is making a lot of little braids, and only braiding the top four inches or so and banding them then. Kind of like this...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...0ve/braids.jpg

That's my baby, [literally, she is 10 months] and she doesn't so much care about her hair in her ears, but she looks super cute when she's all braided up. I would have posted a picture of my other horse but her mane is white and her neck is white, so you really can't see the braids, lool.