The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   im wanting a long mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/im-wanting-long-mane-29474/)

chika1235 06-12-2009 11:45 AM

im wanting a long mane

im wanting a very long and beautiful mane on my horse.she is a tn walker mix mare and im trying to get her mane to grow out.how do people keep their horses hair so long?i want my mare to have a lot of hair about 2-3 feet of it.is there anyway i can do this?right now i bathe her every week or so and i put m-g-t- on her mane i have noticed a little bit of change but not a lot.she has really haelthy hair and almost no dandruff whatsoever,it always looks clean.her hair right now is a bout 3-4 inches.any help would be great!!!

Trinity 06-12-2009 03:57 PM

Its takes areally long time for hair to grow, maybe up to about 2 years for the amount your asking. Others will probably have another opinion.

VanillaBean 06-12-2009 04:25 PM

Use lots of cowboy magic and grain!!! It will take time but it will help! Good luck

twogeldings 06-12-2009 08:03 PM

Step 1: Check out Toadstool Farms 'Mane Bags'

Step 2: Keep thoroughly conditioned. Try not to brush to much as you pull out hair. Rather, condition condition condition and gently work out knots and tangles verses brushing.

Step 3. Keep braided, or kept up with Mane Bags. It is really important to keep the mane protected if you want it to grow. Barbed wire fencing is the biggest enemy to a long mane. Other horses as well!

My gelding pulled two braids out of his three year pasture mate, leaving two inches of mane a foot across. Looks downright silly. The three year used to have a mane that nearly touched his shoulders, thanks to good genetics. It has been reduced to a straggle, thanks to Loki.

kellyp 06-12-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogeldings (Post 326519)
Step 1: Check out Toadstool Farms 'Mane Bags'

i was actually going to suggest this before i saw your post!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogeldings (Post 326519)
Step 3. Keep braided, or kept up with Mane Bags. It is really important to keep the mane protected if you want it to grow. Barbed wire fencing is the biggest enemy to a long mane. Other horses as well!

same thing happened to me-- it got to the point where the other horse ate so much that i was forced to roach it and start from scratch!!

MacabreMikolaj 06-12-2009 08:59 PM

Much like people, a lot of it is genetic as well. There are things you can do to encourage healthy hair growth, but you very well may never coax her mane to grow as long as you're wanting it. My Arab gelding had such a pathetic flimsy mane, I just gave up and roached it. Meanwhile, my Arab mare has a mane that just grows like a weed. I don't do anything to it, and it's just everywhere, down to the bottom of her shoulder. Well, it was anyway, until she decided to stick it through the dang fence >.< Now she's missing a chunk that's finally starting to grow back and looks ridiculous.

Haha, her TAIL though, that's a different story. She looks ridiculous. I've been braining and using MTG and I've noticed a good difference, but tails are a lot easier to encourage growth from then manes in my opinion, since manes are usually a target for trees, catching on things, and other horses mouths.

Royal Affair 06-12-2009 09:26 PM

I just use a little bit of MTG every now and then and i rarely ever brush manes. The only time i brush it is after I've given him a bath conditioned it so there's no knots. It's grown about twice it's length in about a year and a half since i started using MTG. His tail has grown at least 5 or 6 inches. It won't happen overnight though, patience is key.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...4/P4180209.jpg
That's his mane now.

Scoutrider 06-15-2009 07:34 AM

Great suggestions! My new horse came with a couple of large chunks pulled out of his mane (crud! I can't get a pic to attach, grr! Just imagine 4 inch gaps with no hair, and one little straggle between the two that survived but needs CPR, lol) probably by other horses. The spots are growing back, about 3 inches high now, and tipping over, lol. I just brush gently daily, with Showsheen, and rub some baby oil into the bare spots to help with the little flakies and dry skin. What is there is of a decent length and extremely thick. His tail hangs about to his fetlocks. I can't wait to try some of these things!

QHDragon 06-15-2009 09:20 AM

I was always told to keep the mane braided with cloth in it, the extra weight will help it grow out, but that could be an old wives tale.

SpiritJordanRivers 06-15-2009 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My friend suggested buying Beth Moore's book. I've heard of it but I'm not buying it yet, but the pics on the website look REALLY tempting :)
http://fairytale-horses.com/

Some tips helped me:
1) don't brush your horse's mane or tail EVER again. It hurts rather than helps especially on the tail. It pulls out hairs that take a LONG time to regrow.
2) Keep it clean.
3) Condition every time you see your horse (Mane and Tail works great)
4) M-T-G once a week.
5) BRAIDS
6) Trim dead ends

My horse is a TN Walker too, and they have the genetics to grow pretty good, long manes and tails
Here's my boy :D (Don't mind the rattyness, he had BAD worms at our old barn)