The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   paralize face (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/paralize-face-2950/)

mustang 08-17-2007 01:04 AM

paralize face

a friend of mine has a 6 yr old paint mare who has half of her face paralized. It came on in about two days, vet says inner ear infection and has her on antibiotics --4 days later she is no better and maybe worse. She has great difficulty eating and drinking. Anyone had this problem or any ideas?

Ryle 08-17-2007 10:37 AM

Has this mare had surgery just prior to the onset of paralysis? Or been down, maybe fallen? Did the vet run any labwork? What do you mean by "has gotten worse"?

mustang 08-17-2007 02:59 PM

paralized face

No sign of any of any injury, was ridden on a trail ride the week before, no problems. there seems to be a slight irregularity in her gait now but that could be just because we are looking for anything and maybe we just never noticed exactly how she traveled before. Vet did a head xray and blood work. white count was a little high but within the normal range and something else he checked in the blood but it was also normal, sorry I am not sure what that was.

Ryle 08-17-2007 09:28 PM

If she is not improving on antibiotics and is in fact getting worse, i would have a second vet out for an opinion. And be sure that infectious neurological disease is ruled out.

mustang 08-18-2007 12:55 AM

paralized face

thanks for the reply, I will pass it on and also look up the other thing you suggested it might be

Ryle 08-18-2007 10:27 AM

EEE, WEE, WNV and even neurological disease associated with EHV-1 would be considerations in any nuerological horse. Was the horse current on vaccinations for the first 3 on the list? That would help rule them out. There is not vaccination that will prevent the neurological form of EHV-1. Is the horse dribbling urine or having other urinary difficulties?

mustang 08-18-2007 12:19 PM

paralzed face

I will have to do some research on the vacines, I would think she is up to date and we haven't seen any problems with elimiation altho she is not drinking much water and we are considering an iv to hydrate her, I don't think it is because she doesn' t want to drink as much as it runs back out of her mouth--can't close her lips.
thanks again for your thoughts

Ryle 08-18-2007 02:01 PM

I would definitely get her some IV fluids if she is unable to drink.
Is the vet you are using an equine vet or mixed practice?

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-18-2007 03:02 PM

i know this my might sound strange but can a horse suffer from bellspolzy like humans can? inner ear infection that can parolize (can't remember what side of the face) .

Ryle 08-18-2007 10:09 PM

Bell's palsy is caused by trauma to the 7th facial nerve in humans.
Trauma to the facial nerve in the horse can occur, but it's not called Bell's palsy. Does the horse normally wear a halter out in the pasture?