The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Recommended WARM winter tall boots? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/recommended-warm-winter-tall-boots-295002/)

Feenat 10-15-2013 08:13 AM

Recommended WARM winter tall boots?

I work on a farm and ride all during the day so I need something waterproof, super warm, durable and comfortable. I've also got rather big feet. Most women's 10s are tightish, so brands that are more roomy would also be a great tip! What are your best recommendations for tall boots!?

Also wen I say warm I really mean WARM lol I have bad circulation in my feet and have almost lost toes a few times in regular work boots (outside for an hour or two, nothing like now. Now I'm out ALL DAY)

Pambam 10-15-2013 09:19 AM

I have renauds, I struggle too, both hands and feet, I've tried numerous winter riding boots that haven't helped, what has helped is battery heated socks!

I've also just bought these Mountain Horse® Eclipse - Mountain Horse USA, Horse riding boots ...

The batteries are awkward with high boots unless they are loose ones so with these it should just sit above:)

Feenat 10-15-2013 09:44 AM

I have the same thing! So you know exactly what I'm talking about! I have tried the heated socks and gloves (and jackets!) I've also tried the non battery operated heated insoles. I think the insoles might actually work better. My battery operated clothing has never gotten very warm. I'll check out the boots. One of my coworkers has been all about Mountain Horse lately. Thanks :)

Saddlebag 10-15-2013 09:45 AM

A friend has found those hand warmer packets placed in her boots makes a big different. She had tried various styles of boots and found the packets worked best. Check Cabeela's. I think they sell them altho if you call around sporting good stores may carry them. Cabeela's sells all kinds of camping gear and cold weather stuff.

Pambam 10-15-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feenat (Post 3873930)
I have the same thing! So you know exactly what I'm talking about! I have tried the heated socks and gloves (and jackets!) I've also tried the non battery operated heated insoles. I think the insoles might actually work better. My battery operated clothing has never gotten very warm. I'll check out the boots. One of my coworkers has been all about Mountain Horse lately. Thanks :)

Yeh the battery ones don't get very warm, I put those socks from marks work warehouse, the heat thick ones ontop of the battery socks and I'm ok and we get -40 windchill here:shock:

Gloves, ugh, I have real issues with my hands due to renauds and shutting my fingers in the garage door and doing major nerve damage, I bought real expensive riding ones, shoot I forget the brand, I'll look for you!.....still not perfect, someone told me to try beaver gloves, but I'm not sure if they'll be too thick to ride in?

Feenat 10-15-2013 10:16 AM

Oh yeah gloves. I almost don't bother anymore! No matter how good or heavy the gloves are my fingers still turn blue and lock up. That's gonna be my next mission. I need them more for working around the barn then riding. My hands stay a little warmer on the horse lol

Yeah those warmer packets aren't half bad. I have a big box of them already! I'm just hoping to find some really well insulated boots that don't require multiple layers and heat packs as add ons X.X Especially since my feet and calves are bigger. Layering under shoes isn't easy.

Feenat 10-15-2013 11:17 AM

How do you feel about Muck Boots? I'm seeing some really good reviews! And I'm liking how this sounds

Arctic Pro Professional Extreme-Conditions Sport Boot ACP-998K

Feenat 10-15-2013 11:40 AM

Ok Just ordered those! I just hope I can ride in them...

egrogan 10-15-2013 01:25 PM

I love Muck Boots and have them for working around the barn on days I'm not riding- but I don't ride in them because the toe (and tread under the toe) is so big and rounded I don't feel comfortable with them in my stirrups.

I have these and love them: Brossard Tall Winter Boot. They are super warm and comfortable enough to work a full day around the barn.

If you find you don't like riding in the Muck Boots, I'd highly recommend looking for these.

beau159 10-15-2013 01:35 PM

I have never found boots that keep my toes warm for winter riding. So I stock up big time on these:

http://www.horseforum.com/data:image...CiiigCiiigP//Zhttp://www.alpinhaus.com/media/catal...oe-warmers.jpg

It does the trick!!!