The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Registering an a trailer in NJ without a title help needed. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/registering-trailer-nj-without-title-help-295242/)

luvbeach 10-15-2013 03:14 PM

Registering an a trailer in NJ without a title help needed.

I bought a used horse trailer from Craigslist and the seller did not have the title or registration. I read on the internet that I could create a bill of sale include the serial number and model number and get it notarized. Unfortunately, we can't see the serial number on the trailer so I can't register it. I could register it as homemade, but I need receipts of the materials used and a detailed description. Is there anything else I can do? I was wondering if I should see if she would resign a bill of sale stating it was her homemade trailer.

horselovinguy 10-15-2013 05:03 PM

I found these comments on a web site about just what you are going to be dealing with.
If you know the manufacturer of the trailer, contact them and they can tell you where else the VIN number is stamped on the trailer. Usually one on the frame "V" on the trailer front, sometimes on the nose under the window and sometimes inside the trailer itself are all places to check.
I know it is much more difficult to pass a trailer without proper paperwork. I honestly would be concerned of theft and buying something the person sold you had not authority to sell...it happens.
Not sure if NJ actually has someone look for the hidden VIN to make sure the vehicle/trailer is not stolen...
Remember that a obviously commercially "name" manufactured trailer is not going to pass as homemade so easily.
Below are what I found that hopefully will give you some help in your registering the trailer...
Good luck...

NJ has recently gotten more complicated by making you provide much more information about the trailer. For years it has been easy to swipe someone's trailer cook up some receipts and register it as homemade.
Some folks go out and bought a $200 harbor freight trailer to get the paperwork they need. Not that I suggesting you do that. Your other alternative is to register your trailer in a state requiring less stringent proof of ownership.

Also search at SurfTalk, a lot of those guys are from Jersey and have dealt with trailer registration issues.

I don't imagine that NJ is very different from CT.
Rather than trying to recover or recreate old paperwork, I found it much less trying to simply replace the ball hitch (which is excuse enough to get it inspected by the DMV as though it had been homemade), and have a fresh VIN assigned and get them to start all paperwork from scratch.

The only caveat here is that they inspect the trailer AND THE TOW VEHICLE very thoroughly, so don't try this with any sort of sub-par vehicle or the tickets will cost more than a new trailer.

Dustbunny 10-15-2013 07:00 PM

Does the trailer have a license plate? If it's used it should have plates. Motor vehicles should be able to look it up with the plate number.
So, if you bought it and there was no proof of title/registration you might be up a creek. Not good. Hope you can get this resolved.

luvbeach 10-15-2013 07:36 PM

I did ask the DMV to check the plates and they were inactive. I am wondering if I could get abill of sale from the seller (or someone else) and say that it was purchased homemade and the seller didn't have receipts. I might just register it in Maine. It seems like it is pretty easy to register it there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustbunny (Post 3877586)
Does the trailer have a license plate? If it's used it should have plates. Motor vehicles should be able to look it up with the plate number.
So, if you bought it and there was no proof of title/registration you might be up a creek. Not good. Hope you can get this resolved.

Dustbunny 10-15-2013 09:22 PM

I guess I am a dim bulb, but if the trailer has plates it has been registered. Why can't the seller apply for a lost title? Obviously the state has a record of it. It's the responsibility of the seller to have the proper paperwork to pass on to the buyer.
Here, you best not register in a state in which you don't live.

This sounds like a Craigslist deal that should have been passed on.

Dustbunny 10-15-2013 09:38 PM

Is the trailer solid and safe to haul a horse in?
I'd sure have someone go over the thing and check it from one end to the other. Lights work, brakes, no rotten floor boards. Serious business hauling horses.

luvbeach 10-16-2013 03:45 PM

I got it registered today.

I went to the DMV with pictures, a plan of how we constructed it, a notarized letter stating it was homemade, a weight certificate, and I got my title, registration, and tags.