The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Favorite LEG boots? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/favorite-leg-boots-295266/)

Griffith361 10-15-2013 05:40 PM

Favorite LEG boots?

Just as a general rule, I try to use all natural fibers (wool,fleece,mohair) on anything that I have touching my horse directly. I live in south Texas so heat and humidity are always high and I need all the heat/sweat wicking I can get. So, what do y'all suggest for a natural option for leg protection? I've had a hard time finding anything. I feel like the ligaments and tendons that are covered by most boots could get too much heat build up? But I don't want to go without due to terrain and my horses interference issues (especially in the rear) Have y'all found that even synthetics dry fast enough for this issue not to matter? I currently have an inexpensive pair of neoprene front splint boots and a more expensive pair of neoprene Classic Equine Legacy System boots for the rear. My wish list of features in a boots would be:
-Natural fibers at least as the lining
-Keeps out sand/debris
-Easy to clean
-And a plus if they come in fun colors! What??! It makes them easier to find too lol

Lexiie 10-15-2013 06:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I really like Pegasus Air Boots, not natural fibers, but..
I've tested them against my SMB's and the heat is NOWHERE near what the SMB's cause. They don't slip down and my mare is hard to fit for boots. Easy to put on/take off. Very breathable, I've taken them through water and they don't get bogged down. The outside gets damp, but the inside is dry.
They're low profile, really. Black but the trim comes in lots of colors.
Easy to wash, just throw them in the washer and hang to dry.

Greeting and summary new products

Griffith361 10-15-2013 06:33 PM

Thanks for the link! The website didn't show that they have them for the hind legs which is something I need also :( otherwise those look to be less bulky than most!

gypsygirl 10-15-2013 06:58 PM

I think those boots are meant to be used on front or hind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 10-15-2013 07:24 PM

I'll try them on my mare's hinds tomorrow and see what they look like(:
Posted via Mobile Device

Griffith361 10-15-2013 07:41 PM

Oh good point I didn't think about that! Thank you so much!

phantomhorse13 10-15-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 3877002)
I really like Pegasus Air Boots, not natural fibers, but I've tested them against my SMB's and the heat is NOWHERE near what the SMB's cause.

How do you feel they compare to the SMBs in terms of support?

Much as I am not a fan of boots, I am going to need some for Dream due to the suspensory injury. I have used SMBs in the past, but agree they got very hot and I know the few times I used neoprene half chaps on a not-cold day, I felt like my legs were on fire.

Lexiie 10-15-2013 10:27 PM

I think they support better. Instead of being flat inside, they have a squishy part that sits in the indentation of their leg. There's one large Velcro strap for the cannon bone, and one strap to go under the fetlock.
My mare would move funny in SMBs, in these she doesn't.
I'll have a picture tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

Griffith361 10-17-2013 11:41 PM

I found these: Toklat - Horse Tack - Saddle Pads - Horse Riding Apparel - Boots & Wraps - Leg Boots

I'm not sure how they would work after a water crossing though