The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Half Chap Question. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/half-chap-question-295338/)

rexing93 10-15-2013 07:18 PM

Half Chap Question.

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct section for this post, but I figured I'd give it a whirl. Please let me know if it is in the incorrect section so I can have it moved/deleted. :3

Well, I had bought these cheap Ovation half chaps when I first began getting lessons back in late April due to recommendations from the tack shop/supply owner (she was simply trying to save me money because "if I didn't stick with riding a month down the road, there would be no need in having $150 half chaps"). And everyone knows the general rule of thumb, "you get what you pay for". So within the past couple months, my half chaps began getting holes in them right above where they sit on top of my boots and the zippers entirely broke (to the point I had to Macgyver them with multiple ponytail holders going up and down my leg to be sure they'd stay on during my ride).

So with my first show coming up in a matter of days, I went out and bought a new pair of half chaps. I bought them only five days ago and in the store they were snug on my calf but a bit short. I figured for only a small schooling show, they'd do for now and I'd custom order some (since that seems to be what I'm going to have to do for my awkward long, skinny legs >.>) around Christmas time as a gift to myself. So I came home with a decent pair of chaps (I think they're "Elite" brand) that didn't fit quite up to standards, but decent enough. So I decided to use them for the first time today to "break them in" and as soon as I began riding, I felt a sharp pain on the inside of my left leg right where the top of the chaps met my leg (I guess it was either a rubbing or pinching kind of thing). *I'll include a picture to further show where the pain was*

Picture: Attachment 301890
*NOTE: The pain was on the inside of the leg. I have a much larger bruise from it on the left leg and a small bruise on the right leg (same spots on both legs). Also, the picture taken is with my old Ovation chaps.

I guess why it caught me off guard was because my old ones never caused me any trouble (until they began falling apart, that it) and definitely never any physical pain. I really don't want to have a sharp pain on my leg through my entire show this upcoming Sunday if I don't have to and I don't have time during the day to buy new ones (not this week anyways).

My big question is...
What would cause my chaps to do that to my legs? They do seem a teensy bit shorter than my Ovations were but they're both "talls"... Could I have possibly been doing something with my riding that would have caused it (my instructor said I had a pretty good ride though so I'm not entirely sure). I'm just lost on why my chaps did that/what I was doing to cause it and possible ways to prevent it--or if I should just buy new ones soon? :3

I've blabbed for quite some time... Thanks to all that I have read my ridiculously long post and to those that're willing to help!

Winterose 10-15-2013 07:24 PM

I would talk to your trainer, they are going to be able to give you a better idea of what is going on because they are there, if you identify to them where you are having problems they can look at how they fit you and how they sit when riding and can help you make adjustments or tell you if they are all wrong

bkylem 10-15-2013 10:32 PM

Beautiful horse !

waresbear 10-15-2013 10:39 PM

Does this pain happen only when you ride or when you are just walking around in them? I have a $15 pair of half chaps I have owned for about 3 or years, no broken zippers or rubbing, however I don't show in them. Now if the pain is when you ride, means you are gripping with your knees, big no no, suck it up until it no longer hurts (means you will figure out how to post without using your knees, but rather your hips), once it no longer hurts you will have become a better rider. Good luck!

rexing93 10-16-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 3879618)
Does this pain happen only when you ride or when you are just walking around in them? I have a $15 pair of half chaps I have owned for about 3 or years, no broken zippers or rubbing, however I don't show in them. Now if the pain is when you ride, means you are gripping with your knees, big no no, suck it up until it no longer hurts (means you will figure out how to post without using your knees, but rather your hips), once it no longer hurts you will have become a better rider. Good luck!

Let me see if I can explain this a bit. They do not hurt when I'm standing/walking around (well, now they do because of the large bruises)--but they began hurting as soon as I hopped on the horse and adjusted myself. Now my instructor would have corrected me if I was pinching with my knees (she used to do it and does it still on a rare occasion)--so I don't quite think it's due to my knees just due to the fact that when I'm just sitting on a horse I don't pinch with my knees and that's when I first felt the pain. :3 Then it worsened as we were cantering and jumping the entire time. So the pain happens when I bend my leg up quite a bit and the chaps make contact on my upper calf :3

Hope that explains it a bit better.

rexing93 10-16-2013 12:12 AM

And thanks for the comments! I appreciate it!

tinyliny 10-16-2013 01:32 AM

they probably just have a larger amount of material under that point of contact, like a lump. maybe some seams there?

I have been wearing Ariat chaps since the ice age. They never disappoint.

rexing93 10-17-2013 11:10 AM

I'm going to double check if the seams are whats making contact with leg at that point. :3 I didn't pay that close attention to it, but I actually assume that's what it is.

And I was going to get some Ariat chaps but they didn't have any in that would fit and I couldn't wait on ordering since I needed to have a new pair for the show and it would have taken too long to get the order sent in. However, I think for a Christmas present to myself I'll be order custom made ones from Pinnell Custom Leather ^-^

Ninamebo 10-18-2013 01:53 AM

At that point might as well just get a pair of tall boots. I've never had an issue with them. I do remember pain with that area of my first pair of half chaps though. It was because I was gripping with my knees. Stopped doing that and so did the pain.

Saddlebag 10-18-2013 06:43 AM

I suspect they are pinching with the stirrup leather.