The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Bit question (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/bit-question-295426/)

HRS 10-15-2013 10:10 PM

Bit question

Sorry for the ignorance ahead of time...I got a twisted snaffle bit the other day but im not sure if im supposed to attach a curb chain with it or not? If so where do i put it in reference with the reins...Thanks for any help

Reinsman Circle R All Around Medium Ring Snaffle, CR107 - Tractor Supply Online Store

Freemare 10-15-2013 10:13 PM

First let me ask, why are you using a twisted snaffle? No. You dont need with a snaffle. However it's good to have one so the bit cant be pulled through there mouth.

Endiku 10-15-2013 10:23 PM

It isn't a curb chain that you need, its a bit hobble. Please do NOT put a curb chain on your twisted wire bit. That could cause extreme pain for your horse. Buy a bit hobble and use that. The only use for it should be to keep the bit from being pulled through your horse's mouth, and it shouldn't be tight whatsoever.

Saskia 10-17-2013 06:08 AM

You don't need a curb chain - it's not a leverage bit.

Why did you choose that bit? It's not a bit I would choose at all. Just asking as you're posting on the "new to horses" board.

EquineGirl1965 10-17-2013 08:06 AM

I'm not sure I even want to know what that is...why not a plain snaffle bit or a french link? Harsh bits cause harsh mouths. Just saying...

gigem88 10-17-2013 08:19 AM

I wouldn't attach it to anything but the trash, they make me cringe! Plain snaffle or French link, no curb chain.

franknbeans 10-17-2013 10:29 AM

So, OP-inquiring minds want to know-why did you choose that bit? I would never choose that myself, either..........

bsms 10-17-2013 11:08 AM

Twisted wire bits have their uses, but generally not with someone new to horses. I don't know of anyone who uses them for daily riding.

Captain Evil 10-17-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigem88 (Post 3889930)
I wouldn't attach it to anything but the trash, they make me cringe! Plain snaffle or French link, no curb chain.

Well, you don't have to throw it in the trash... they look cool hanging on a wall, next to the thumb screws and cat-o-nines.

jimmyp 10-17-2013 11:43 AM

we have a couple that go in various twisted wire bits..... they are only as harsh as the hands that run them..... you could put a piece of rebar in a horses mouth and not do them any harm.

To the OP, if you want to put a curb on your twisted wire, I'd say go with a leather curb and put the reins between the bridle and curb.

Jim