The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rope Burn on newborn filly. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rope-burn-newborn-filly-29544/)

dixiegirl 06-13-2009 04:19 PM

Rope Burn on newborn filly.

I have a 3 day old filly that got a rope burn today cause she got tangled up in her mothers lead rope... :( ( i'll never let that happen again!) It isn't terrible, but it did rip off the hair and left a 2 in. by 1/2 in. bare spot on her leg. I rinsed it really well, and then washed it with a really good soap that had lavender in it (an antiseptic) I put neosporin on it and now am making sure no flies get on it... but I don't know if that will keep it from scarring. Or if what i am doing will work how often should i wash it, and how often should I put neosporin on it? Should I do anything else to it?
Thanks!! :)

paint gurl 23 06-13-2009 06:38 PM

spray it with apple cidar vinegar a couple times a day if you can, if shes afraid of the spray just use your hand, it will take the sting out and heal it beautifully

HalfPass 06-14-2009 01:25 AM

Hey Dixie...
Another thing I think you could use on the rope burn would be Bacitracin....It is similar to the neosporin but a bit more effective in killing and bacteria.
It is a little more expensive then a neosporin tube and I am pretty sure my friend has used it on her horse in a similar situation although the hose was older.
Have you tried to call your vet and just inquire as to what they might suggest to do? If I were in your shoes, and the rope burn was concerning enough I would call and ask....
It never hurts to ask a question wheter it fees silly or not...
Hope it goes well. Watch that it stays clean and free of flies etc...
Keep us posted!
Half Pass

smrobs 06-14-2009 06:22 AM

Did the rope actually take the skin off too or just the hair? If it is just the hair, then it should grow back just fine on its own. However; if it took a large layer of skin off, then any of the above suggestions should work.

dixiegirl 06-14-2009 12:57 PM

Thank you Paint Gurl :) I have been putting apple cider vinegar on it and amazingly it already looks better then yesterday!!!
Thank you Half Pass I will call my vet to check in... no way do i want her to scar.
And I think only it ripped hair off cause she didn't bleed at all though it is starting to scab a little.
Thanks for all the replies!! :) I really appreciate it!!
....Dixie :)

paint gurl 23 06-14-2009 02:02 PM

no prob, I use it on everything! :)