The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Biggest problem when riding???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/biggest-problem-when-riding-29568/)

DarkEquine 06-14-2009 01:17 AM

Biggest problem when riding????

Hey, not sure where this was supposed to go. Please feel free to move it if needed.

What is everyone's biggest bug bear when it comes to their riding position and way of going?

Mine used to be my legs....ugh! I was a happy hacker throughout my childhood before I started proper english lessons about a year ago, and I had some BAD habits.

My legs swung like a sea saw, my heels were HORRIBLE and I was perched on the saddle like it was made from knives!!!

But I've improved out of sight since then and now my biggest problem is my hands. *sigh*

When I'm riding lazy horses and I'm trying to put a motor under them, I tend to let the reins slip through my fingers and just gingerly hold them between my thumb and forefinger? WTH? What's that called?

My grip improves when I'm holding a crop, or when I'm riding flighty horses whom you HAVE to keep a contact on, but I can't seem to shake this bad habit!!!

Any tips?

saint3meg3rlfc 06-14-2009 01:15 PM

My bad habits

Flat - slouching, picking my hands up
Jumping - jumping ahead

**sigh**

horseluver2435 06-14-2009 01:31 PM

My bad habit is looking down. I'm constantly checking and re-checking my diagonal, since Rainy trips up or randomly misses a step, and I have a thing about posting on the correct diagonal. I check her headset a ton too, and that makes me look down as well. =P I thought I did good in our equitation class this weekend, but I guess the judges thought otherwise...

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-14-2009 02:02 PM

Mine is my posture. I slouch worse than anyone you've ever seen and it's really painfull when I sit up straight, especially on a horse. It really throws off mine and the horse's balance ={

smrobs 06-14-2009 02:48 PM

Since I have never had any "proper" instruction, I have lots of habits that many people consider bad. I slouch a bit and when riding young or green horses, I am always watching their neck (looking down) and I usually ride with my toes down a bit.

I don't really worry about that because that is just how I am comfortable riding; however, my biggest issue I am trying to fix right now is remembering to make myself use my left hand on the reins. I have always steered right handed and now that I have started roping, I have to use my left. Not an easy change to make after 20 years of riding with my right. :) But I am getting better.

ivorygold1195 06-14-2009 04:40 PM

my worst problam is, because my soulders naturally curl forward, i look like im slouching, and since i recently switched to gaited, i keep my hads to low like you would in hunt set.

Xoras 06-16-2009 12:41 PM

I get a little freaked out when I canter, so I sort of hunch forward and I get really tense.

I'm trying to get over that. >.<

wintec 06-16-2009 01:38 PM

Ok well when I'm in a hunter lesson I have perfect equitation. However after four years of hunters I started taking Dressage as well. My biggest problem is sitting back in the dressage saddle. Especially at the canter when I want to close my hip angle and sit far up in the saddle almost in a two point as if I was ready for a jump to pop out of nowhere =D

RoosterDo 06-16-2009 02:37 PM

my biggest problem is that Im sooo good people hate me because Im perfect!!! Yeah right I tend to be a lazy rider sometimes and my toes tip forward and I slouch sometimes I get off just a little bit on my seat and get very bouncy thank god my mare is forgiving.

goldilockz 06-16-2009 02:40 PM

For me, I'm bad about slouching and looking down. I also tend to let my toes drop sometimes.