The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   I'm looking for a gray draft stallion or colt (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/im-looking-gray-draft-stallion-colt-295682/)

Cherie 10-16-2013 10:25 AM

I'm looking for a gray draft stallion or colt

I am looking for a gray draft or half draft stud or yearling colt (not gelded).

I have looked at a couple of gray Percheron horses but they appear to be really low backed. I have driven and used a lot of Belgians but have not been around a lot of Percherons. Are they usually pretty low backed? How do they carry big riders?

The person wanting this stud wants to raise big, easy-going, gray horses weighing 1400 - 1600# out of gray AQHA mares. I do not guess I have seen any gray drafts other than Percherons. Is there anything else out there? A gray 1/2 draft would work, but I do not have any idea where to look for one.

Can anyone help enlighten me? I have no experience at all with drafts under saddle and no experience with Percherons at all.

Cherie

ladygodiva1228 10-16-2013 10:34 AM

Shires also come as grays.

DraftsForSale.com: Shire Horse For Sale - Fox Valley King Magnus

Clava 10-16-2013 10:39 AM

There are some cross percherons on this page being ridden
Gallery

I think they are good weight carriers.

How about Irish Drafts? Not as heavy or big but good weight carriers and often grey.

DraftyAiresMum 10-16-2013 10:46 AM

My boy is a Percheron cross (paint sire and Percheron dam) and he is a stout boy more than capable of carrying my 250lbs. His half-sister (who belongs to a friend) is built like a tank. She doesn't have very good conformation, though (marginally butt high, long back, sickle hocked...but all her faults come from their fugly sire).

I like Percheron crosses, and not just because I own one. They tend to be stout, good minded, using horses. Smrobs has a Percheron/QH who is turning into a decent horse (Taz, her 3yo).

However, just like any cross breed, even with two well-conformed parents, sometimes things don't go so well. There's a 2yo Percheron/QH colt on my local CL right now who is a bit of a train wreck, poor thing. I definitely wouldn't use him to carry a larger rider, just because of some of the faults he has.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 10-16-2013 10:55 AM

In my limited experiences with Percherons (like you, I've got more experience with Belgians), the good ones won't be low-backed and are very suitable for carrying heavier riders. The one thing I would really look for though is one that is short backed. For some reason, long backs seem to be a common fault in draft crosses.

I don't know anyone around these parts that might have one, but you might consider going to a draft horse and mule sale. There is one twice a year in Kingman Kansas where there is a lot of really nice Amish stock going through and animals from well known and established breeding farms. That's where we got John.

BlueSpark 10-16-2013 11:08 AM

I grew up riding percheron crosses, and the good ones have nice strong backs. My cousins currently have 3, and we drive and ride them. as kids we used to just pile on for rides, up to 4 of us on the same horse for a tour around the pasture. They are good weight carriers, and I think by far the best option for what the client is looking for.

we have lots of percheron crosses up here, but that doesn't help you much.

Left Hand Percherons 10-16-2013 11:53 AM

Why limit the search to a grey stallion? If he has grey mares, chances are most foals will end up grey anyway. Grey on grey ends up with a washed out grey almost white 5 year old. Not nearly as attractive as a steel dappled grey. I'd go black.

Is he looking at raising hunting horse type? I would look at a modern hitch horse cull. Doesn't have the action needed in a hitch but is lighter boned, short backed, well bred (good dam lines), good legs and good feet.

tinyliny 10-16-2013 12:08 PM

I adore the Irish Draught horse! but I don't see them much in the US.

jaydee 10-16-2013 12:19 PM

If he's wanting a specific type of horse - by which I mean a fairly consistent result in the cross then I would also go for an Irish Draft - they are a big powerful horse but have been bred over the years to be a well proportioned athletic riding horse rather than a working draft horse that can be ridden.

Zexious 10-16-2013 12:22 PM

Percheron x TBs make awesome horses, just toss'n that out there. ;)

I think a Percheron is probably your best bet, given that your client is gung-ho on gray.