The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Pricing and choosing a reiner (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/pricing-choosing-reiner-296018/)

farmpony84 10-16-2013 10:13 PM

Pricing and choosing a reiner

I haven't even set up my first reining lesson yet. I've talked to four trainers now and I really like them all. I think I'm going to try to go to at least two of them to figure out which way to go. I am hoping to buy a reiner this summer but if it turns out I have to go higher then planned on the price then I might see if I can lease one for the show season and then get one the next spring but I wanted to play around with you guys to see what exactly I should look for and what pricing I should settle on.

Right now what I was thinking was setting a limit at $10k with the goal to spend about $5500 - $7500. Because then I could set aside a little for future training. Because I know nothing about the discipline, I don't even know if that's a fair plan.

I've been looking at different websites trying to get an idea. I'd like to show you what I think I like and see what you guys think... (because I'm not buying right now I searched the entire US) What should I be looking for etc...

How tall can you go with a reiner? They seem like most are under 15 hands.

If I understand correctly you start w/ a score of 70 so for this one they say it scored 70/71 - that's good?:

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1858587 - Electric Razor

I feel like her ride was sloppy? Was it?

In the verbiage I'm looking for key words such as Novice/Rookie/Youth

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1897532 - Wimpys Little Havoc

I found a video of this one: http://www.reinerstop.com/sale-horse...s-Little-Havoc

My current horse is 16'2 and 1300 lbs. Am I going to feel like a giant on one of these? My mare is 14.3 and I feel huge on her but she is small....

Can we start the discussion on these two?

What would make the difference between $5k and $10K?

Again, I know nothing about reiners so I'm learning for zero....

frpulliam 10-22-2013 11:29 AM

From a trainers view I kind of like the Wimpy mare. Ive seen good wimpy horses and bad ones. Ive seen green riders get along with them and ive seen green riders who hate them. Its all in the style of riding that you have. I personaly like setting my green students up on Dun It horses. The reason is that it seems, in my expierience with them, that after about 4 years old the Dun It horses become a little more laid back and less froggy when it comes to acting out. You want to remember that as a new student of reining you are going to make mistakes while riding your horse so you want to get something that is tolerant. I think you have the right idea on how to approach your situation which is good. I always encourage new students who are wanting to buy a horse to not spend more than $5000 on the first horse. You also want to go check and ride several before making a decision on one. The reason for this is because my opinion of a novice horse may not be your opinion of a novice horse. Check out reiners world too. They usually have some decent horses on there. All in all I think you have your head screwed on straight and are setting yourself up for success in this situation.

ReiningCrazy 10-22-2013 12:28 PM

I know in my area of Canada you will not be able to find a good reiner for under $10k. For $10k usually you can find a been there done it horse that cannot take their current rider to the next level. Or $10k will find you a younger trained horse that does not have the show experience or miles put on them but have bloodlines for reining.

Easiest thing is to find a trainer you like, watch the trainer work with students on their horses and see how well they are doing in the show pen. See how well the trainer does in the show pen. Take lessons and see what you want in a Reiner. Do you want the horse to help you learn reining and get to to a certain level before you need to look at another horse. Some people get a horse for their green as grass and beginner classes but need a different horse for the next level.

I got a young horse that will be able to take me to Non-Pro but I work with a trainer weekly and the horse stays in training with him. I also spent more then $10k on him.

Reiners tend to be shorter but stocky most are 14.2h. Im 5'8" and bigger boned and Lionel is 14.2 I do not feel big on him because he has a bigger butt then me...

SlideStop 10-22-2013 02:37 PM

Price varies on SO MANY different things. It's best to evaluate the individual horse. A horse my be priced at 15k because they are beginner safe, have won lots of money, can advance their age, are eligible to compete in derby events, have won money or larger shows, have good blood lines, etc. Now a 5k horse might still be a good beginner horse, just unable to advance a rider, older then people want, young with little training, the owner could be selling from a hardship or they are anxious to "upgrade" etc. I wouldn't count a horse out because is in a lower price range. My budget will be about the same are yours when I'm ready to buy my own, about $5-8k. Every once in a while search the horse sites with my price range and there are usually a bunch that come up. You may have to sit on it for a while to find the right one, but they are out there!!
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 10-22-2013 09:29 PM

I found a trainer that I'm going to set up a lesson with. I may try to call next week. I will ride his horses for lessons. My husband wants me to see if I can lease a horse for him over the summer for some showing so I can get my feet wet. I haven't talked to him in person yet, only via e-mail so I'm not sure if that is an option. I do know that he has sale horses so it might be possible.

If I were picking a horse off a shelf I would great a stocky buckskin that is ready to show but ... I know... not doing that...

I like that SBR Formula One horse a lot but I did a dreamhorse search and only found babies available and I think they were all in CA. I hear a lot about the Gunner line.

Also... I've always stayed away from mares. My mare is a witch. And an Angel. And smart and kind and nasty and mean and loving and I don't trust her! But I do trust her.... LOL... My other mare is an angel that doesn't know how to be mean.

Geldings always seem more level headed to me.... What is your preference and why... Mare or gelding....

What is a "derby" ?

I know this is a baby and I should steer clear but It's so cute!
AQHA/APHA Buckskin Reining Filly | Buy this Horse at Equine.com

This one is SO COOL

I want this line! OK, going to look at the Dun Its now.

franknbeans 10-22-2013 09:59 PM

I think you have gotten some really good advice here. I do think that your price range will most likely be more toward the $10K, but that is my guess. Your trainer can certainly help you. I will say that once you are "in the loop", you tend to hear about horses that never hit the market. I know that if I ever want a "real" reiner instead of my fun wanna be I can go to my trainer in MD and he will find me one. He approached me with no less than 3 in the 6 mo I was there-all less than $10K.....around $8500 typically. You need to get some rides under your bel so you can get a feel for it, which will help. But knowledge of what the positives and negative of the different lines are is in valuable. I would also encourage you to keep your eyes open for the Rookie day in the spring that VRHA has every year. My trainer(who specialized in amateurs) recommends it highly. I would love to go sometime for sure. Usually in March/April. If you want to show next year, you really show start riding the one you want to show well before that, IMO.

SlideStop 10-22-2013 10:00 PM

I think leasing is an excellent option!! It will allow you to get your feet wet without feeling pressured to buy the first horse that comes sliding along. You can wait it out for the perfect horse for you. Also, you will probably be able to skip the "dead beginners school master mistake proof" horse and go for a horse that can take you to a "more serious level".

One thing to think about though is that trainers put a lot of time in these horses and have big $$$ riding on them. Maybe it's just me, but the places I've gone to take lessons are REALLY reluctant to let noobs hop on their sale or show horses.

I love my mares! They just... spice it up for me. Geldings are ok, but they can be a bit bland for my taste.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong... 3 year old compete at the futurities level. Horses 4-6 compete at the derby level. I want to say it looks prestigious and the money is bigger. Other then that it's just shows for horses from 3-6. Beyond that I don't really know so I would love for someone to educate me too!!

franknbeans 10-22-2013 10:17 PM

There is also 7 up for the older horses. You will find that the reining people are incredibly supportive. I find them a really nice bunch of people in general.

Mares sometimes tend to be more $$ since they can be bred, and since so many reiners have stellar pedigrees, that is worth $$. For example-my BO's first reiner-pretty little buckskin mare who is a Shining Spark baby.....for $7500 as a 4 yr old. She is ok-not stellar, and now has about $10K more in training-but, even just for breeding, BO has been told she is worth $30K.(and not for sale, even tho she is currently off and we cannot figure out what the issue is) Her gelding-who is a Gunner-MUCH more training.....and priced to sell at $25K. He was raised to be a derby horse and did not make the cut, so he is a non-pro level. I also have friends who swear by the "Whiz" lines. Some of it is personal preference for sure, but as you have been told-some are easier to keep trained, some are stellar at changes, some lines are known for too much tail action (so many end up nerved).....it gets more involved the more I learn. Makes my head swim.

Cherie 10-25-2013 09:56 AM

You have gotten some excellent advice. Let me add a couple of things you may not be familiar with:

First, DO NOT buy a horse from an owner that is not willing to let yu speak to their Vet. Find out what the soundness and problem history is of any horse you are serious about. You do not want a horse that has had bouts of colic. They will colic again. You need to know if a horse has had x-rays taken and be able to have our Vet look at them. You need to know if a horse has had procedures like hock injections. If you pay more than $5000.00 for a horse, you want to get current x-rays of hocks, stifles and front feet. These can run $500.00 to $1,000.00, so eliminate everything else first. I would not touch a horse if the owner was not willing to release all records and let me talk to their Vet.

Second, you need to realize that any horse bought through any trainer or third party will have a 10 - 20% commission added. So remember, any trainer has a vested interest in your buying a horse through them. It can 'cloud' their objectivity. Some people even get a 10% 'finders fee' or 'referral fee' for giving someone your name and number. Buying and selling trained horses is a commission driven business. This accounts for the big discrepancy you see between auctions and private sales between owners and horses bought through trainers and third parties.

If you do your homework, you can get some incredible bargains at some consignment auctions. This takes a LOT more knowledge and you MUST contact the seller well before the sale and try the horse out and contact vets before the sale. I picked up a money earning gelding with AQHA points for $1600.00 one time. He was being sold to settle a divorce. A 30 day tune-up and he sold for $6500.00 and won his first show. I took a chance on him because I did not ever set eyes on him until about 10 minutes before he sold.

farmpony84 10-27-2013 08:46 PM

I set up my first lesson! It's for Saturday morning! I'm really excited but I'm also nervous. He said they show at the NRHA shows mostly... Isn't that a more competitive level then AQHA would have been for me?