The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Equine chiropractor? (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/equine-chiropractor-296074/)

howrsegirl123 10-16-2013 10:51 PM

Equine chiropractor?

Anyone here an equine chiropractor?
Even if you're not, what does becoming one involve? Is it worth it?

CLaPorte432 10-16-2013 11:05 PM

So totally worth it. If your good at it.

I'm not one, and don't know what it involves. But...I have 3 Equine chiropractors for services, all are between $75 and $100. Per horse.

I took my mare, to the one Chiro, $85, and he had 10 horses lined up to be worked on from 9am-12pm. Do the math! That's just one day, 3 hours, and he travels all over, and is usually books full. He works out of his home Monday mornings (9-12) and will have 10+ horses to do. He is very good. He is also a DVM, and he does Chiro work on dogs as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spellcheck 10-21-2013 09:40 PM

I would say it depends where you are and how hard you look.

My neighbor (who is an EXCELLENT horsewoman) got a certificate in Equine Massage Therapy from Meredith Manor, and for all it cost she couldn't find a job for it anywhere. Even with posting her card on every community bulletin board available.

Then again, this is also out West, where the the majority of horse owners are do-it-yourself-ers who don't want to hire someone for anything (even a farrier; far to many to be safe do it themselves) unless they have to. Back East might be more in demand :)

NicoleH 11-20-2013 11:56 AM

My horses are boarded at a ranch here in Arkansas where I'm from. We have a lady who comes down twice a year and does a week long class with people from all over. After the week, you are certified in Equine Chiropractory. She comes usually in the spring and in the fall, she leases our barn and uses our horses to teach the students. You do make good money if there's a demand for it. I think she charges $900 for the class. Original Poster, if you want to PM me I can get you some more info about that class if you are interested in taking it. D
Posted via Mobile Device

NicoleH 11-20-2013 11:57 AM

She also does Equine Massage Therapy.
Posted via Mobile Device

boots 11-23-2013 01:40 AM

In my line of work (polo) most grooms have training and experience and it is part of their duties. Definitely the massage end, and there are those good in chiropractic work everywhere.

I have heard of other disciplines using chiropractors and massage therapists extensively.

I will recommend that if you go to a school, go to one that actually teaches anatomy and physiology along with massage technique. But those that have that background are able to get better results and address actual conditions or injuries, in my experience.