The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Mini filly kicking and other behaviour issues (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/mini-filly-kicking-other-behaviour-issues-296362/)

LittlemanRob 10-17-2013 07:32 PM

Mini filly kicking and other behaviour issues

I have a 2 year old mini filly with a kicking problem. She also seems to have some other issues as well.

A bit on her history. She was given to me about two months ago. The previous owner had bought her for her daughter as a foal when she was about 4 months old. As far as I know, she has spent the last 1.5 years tied to a stake in a backyard. No pasture. No barn either. They claimed she was put into their garage most nights but I have my doubts as it seems she has not been handled very much.

She was a little underfed and had some evidence of what looked like rain rot but its been cleared up and her coat is growing back. Her feet were decent but in need of a trim and now thats shes been here for a few months she is looking pretty good.

I have a mini stallion as well and they've warmed up to each other after a couple of weeks. At first she was not very nice to him. She would try to kick him through the fence for even coming near her, while at the same time throwing out all the signs of being in heat. After a few weeks of keeping them apart I've let them be together and she has finally calmed down with him, although sometimes she randomly kicks him for no reason. He's been taking it all in stride. He is still very well behaved and despite having a female in heat around there hasn't been any noticeable change in his behaviour.

I'm more concerned with how she has been behaving towards me. When she sees me she comes running. She likes being around me and will follow me everywhere. However, she does not like to be touched in any way. Even while grooming, she will shake her head, whinny, pull away and try to turn around so she can kick me. Sometimes she is OK with it but a minute later she is squealing and trying to line her legs up so she can kick me. Tonight as I was feeding her I passed by while bringing hay. I brushed against her side and she booted me square in the calf leaving me with a limp and a massive bruise. She knew I was there, I always make sure they know I'm around.

I need some advise on how to break her of this behaviour. At this point, working with her is starting to become dangerous as she lashes out for no reason that I can see. I won't let my wife go near her as she is just too unpredictable.

Tryst 10-17-2013 07:42 PM

Sorry can't advise on the kicking, but why are you keeping a two-year old filly with a stallion? Most likely she is pregnant at this time... and hardly more than a baby herself :(

franknbeans 10-17-2013 07:47 PM

^^That was my question. :-( She is obviously spoiled, as only a mini can be. They are tough little buggers. I can only tell you what my BO (who has rehabbed several) does.....she does groundwork with them just as she does her regular horses, and kicking and bad behavior are treated just like a regular horse. THey need to think their little world is ending for about 3 seconds. They do take a LOT of patience tho', so good luck!

rookie 10-17-2013 08:18 PM

She sounds spoiled and needs rules. The problem is that as others have said pregnancy is likely. A baby could make her really protective/aggressive to handle.

NdAppy 10-17-2013 08:28 PM

:shock::shock: Please get her away from the stallion, geld him and have her pregnancy check and/or lute her.

Pregnancy can account for major behavior changes.

She needs a firm hand, and to not get away with anything.

GreySorrel 10-17-2013 09:51 PM

It is unfortunate that you felt you had to put a mare with behavioral issues in with a stallion, as this could compound your problem. Also, do you know if she has any genetic issues? How about the stallion? Are you set up to handle a foal? Is there a possibility that the foal could be born a dwarf? Is there a reason why you put them together? Is she breed worthy? Is the stallion and the mare going to pass great genetics?

Please, get her tested and take her out of the stallions enclosure until you can properly work with her on a consistent basis, start with the basics, letting you touch her, brush and comb out her mane and tail. Basics like picking her hooves up, tie to a patience pole, being led, things like that. If she goes to kick you or bite you, I have slapped my horse good and hard with an open hand in the neck or chest. Same with biting, two things I personally will not tolerate.

franknbeans 10-17-2013 10:02 PM

Grey-there IS a fence between them, Op stated that in the original post, so they are not in the same enclosure at least, but that does not stop a determined stud or a little hussy.

Oh and kicking deserves more than a slap with an open hand. JMHO. That is pretty useless for dangerous behavior in many horses, altho there are a few that are scared of their own shadow enough for that to make some impact.

NdAppy 10-17-2013 10:13 PM

Franknbeans, OP states they were separated and now are together...

LittlemanRob 10-17-2013 10:30 PM

They were separated but now they are together after some supervised test sessions. Her heat is over and he has no interest in mating her since even bumping against her or getting too close to her rear gets him kicked. He figured that out pretty quick.

NdAppy 10-17-2013 10:35 PM

Unless you are watching them 24/7 you have no clue if they bred or not while together or through the fence.

Please, PLEASE to the responsible thing and separate them and have her pregnancy checked.

Unless you are actually wanting them to breed?... Then I'm not even touching that can of worms.