The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Horse WILL NOT pick up feet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/horse-will-not-pick-up-feet-296601/)

eleora9001 10-18-2013 12:05 AM

Horse WILL NOT pick up feet

So, my horse really doesn't pick up her feet, she'll move them after trying to pick them up after a while, but then put it right back down... What should I do for her to pick them up so I can clean out and check her hooves?

JaphyJaphy 10-18-2013 12:25 AM

Can you give some more information?

How are you asking her to pick up her feet?
Has she ever been taught to have her feet picked up?
Does anyone else have a problem with this? (ie. vet, farrier)
When she moves them, what does she do?

SaskGal 10-18-2013 12:28 AM

Also if she does pick the up, and smash them down so u cant hold them try and put a soft rope and just hold the foot up until she gives in and relaxes...wear gloves doing this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clydesdales 10-18-2013 03:19 AM

My old girl does that, but it's because of her arthritis and I have to get someone to walk her forward then as she lifts her foot I pick it up.
Her first owner could never pick it up so she left it to the farrier.

Oh and my farrier said when you do pick it up and she throws it about just hold the front of the hoof and let Her thrash about until she calms down, after a couple of times of doing this she should calm down and let you pick up her feet.

Hope it's helpful.

Saddlebag 10-18-2013 06:31 AM

Try picking her foot up half way and setting it down, half a dozen times or so. It is unnatural to a horse to have someone hold on to it's means of escape so you need to teach it that it's ok.

eleora9001 10-18-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaphyJaphy (Post 3898521)
Can you give some more information?

How are you asking her to pick up her feet?
Has she ever been taught to have her feet picked up?
Does anyone else have a problem with this? (ie. vet, farrier)
When she moves them, what does she do?

What I do is I run my hand down the back of their leg, down to their fetlock, and then pull up a little bit.. She's been taught it, and I don't know if she's just being naughty, (she's been known to be sometimes)... When she moves her feet back down, she'll release for a second and just pick them up enough for her to slide it farther away from me on the ground..

wtwg 10-20-2013 12:13 AM

My farrier gives them a poke in the belly with the hoof pick when they do that, And that works pretty well for me. Just try to hold on to the hoof while you're doing so, And they usually get it and stop struggling.

If you're haVing trouble just picking up the foot, try holding onto the tendon by the cannon bone and pulling up.

You can also squeeze the horse's chestnuts, which seems to work well for some people, though I opt not to do that.

Remember to never overdo any of these techniques though, as you can easily hurt your horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternRider88 10-20-2013 01:00 AM

My mule doesn't pick up his feet the best so I just take the hoof pick and rub in on the back of his pastern and he picks it right up! :smile: Also another thing my farrier has done is pull the hair on his fetlock and he picks it up that way too.

Boo Walker 10-20-2013 10:27 AM

Once your hands are in place and you begin asking for the foot, you might try putting your shoulder into her shoulder / hip to encourage her to shift her weight off the foot. As soon as she shifts, lift the foot up, hold it, give her a pat and put the foot down. Then just repeat this a few times until she understands what you want. Soon you'll be able to just run your hand down her leg and give a little cluck or kiss and she'll lift it for you.

Zexious 10-20-2013 12:52 PM

Also, when you do get the hoof up make sure that she is comfortable. Lifting the hoof too high, or at an odd angle, repeatedly can encourage this bad behavior.