The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   How to start out? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/how-start-out-296633/)

Fellpony 10-18-2013 03:59 AM

How to start out?

I am interested in staring lower level endurance/pleasure rides but unsure where to start out and how to go about it really. I want to know about getting me and my fell pony fit for rides.

If anybody has any advice they can offer please feel free to share it :)
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Saskia 10-20-2013 07:10 AM

Hey! There is an "Endurance Riding" board further down the forum under "Riding Horses" where you could probably get better answers from.

Shropshirerosie 10-20-2013 10:23 AM

And tell us where abouts in the world you are so people can offer advice on what to do and what organisations to contact.

Fellpony 10-20-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 3913969)
Hey! There is an "Endurance Riding" board further down the forum under "Riding Horses" where you could probably get better answers from.

I have just seen it will go an ask on there too:D

Fellpony 10-20-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shropshirerosie (Post 3914329)
And tell us where abouts in the world you are so people can offer advice on what to do and what organisations to contact.

I am in the UK but really looking at very basic riding to start preparing us both for rides :)

Shropshirerosie 10-20-2013 04:56 PM

That's easy then, the UK is one of my areas of expertise :lol:

Do you hack out already? This is the key to building up fitness, experience and confidence for both you and your horse. Explore all the local bridleways, find out what National Parks, Forests etc is available to you by trailering out. You need to have experience in trailering to a ride too.

Do Fun Rides. I don't know where you are but most rural parts of the UK are full of groups, hunts, or charities organising fun rides. Normally you'll be laying about 10 to enter for 4, 6, or 8 mile rides.

Then look at the websites of Endurance GB and ummm I can't remember the other one. Both endurance organisations organise rides that also have non-competitive rides on the same day. It's an easy way to learn the rules without the angst of competing.

Oh, and check out the UK TREC organisation. They do a lot of useful stuff.

Hi hope that gives you enough to be going on with!