The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hooves and Nutrition? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hooves-nutrition-296681/)

EthanQ 10-18-2013 08:41 AM

Hooves and Nutrition?

So, recently, I have noticed that my horses are lacking something in the dietary field, that I believe is causing some hoof issues. They all are trimmed often enough to keep their hooves in good condition, but they all end up with cracks! And not just little ones, Ugly ones! I have already looked at the trimming jobs, and they are good so I don't think that is what is causing them. So I have decided that maybe there is something lacking that I am not offering to help them with their nutrition to get those hooves strong again.? Correct me if I am wrong please!

So, my questions is, what do you do for hoof health? Supplements? Salt/mineral blocks?
thanks!
Ethan

deserthorsewoman 10-18-2013 09:48 AM

Hoof horn quality depends on nutrition. So a good general vit/min supplement is never a bad idea. Mineral blocks are meant for cows, horses can't get enough off it, so a pelleted or loose supplement is the way to go, ideally after a hay/grass analysis. Flaxseed is also an excellent supplement for skin, coat and hooves and general well being.

princessfluffybritches 10-18-2013 09:52 AM

Are you getting the edges rolled nicely?

Clava 10-18-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 3900329)
Hoof horn quality depends on nutrition. So a good general vit/min supplement is never a bad idea. Mineral blocks are meant for cows, horses can't get enough off it, so a pelleted or loose supplement is the way to go, ideally after a hay/grass analysis. Flaxseed is also an excellent supplement for skin, coat and hooves and general well being.

Saved me having to type the same thing :D totally agree.:-)

deserthorsewoman 10-18-2013 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=Clava;3900529]Saved me having to type the same thing :D totally agree.:-)[/QUOTE

:-) my pleasue;-)]

Kayella 10-19-2013 04:19 PM

Cracks are caused by an imbalance in the foot or too much flare so I'd think it is definitely the trim job. Weak hooves just require less stress from an imbalance or flare to crack, but it's still there. I personally use Farrier's Formula double strength for my yearling. His hooves still crack, artificially, at the toe when he's in need of a trim(which is every 1-1 1/2 weeks).

Is there any way you can post pictures of their feet?

loosie 10-20-2013 12:49 AM

Hiya, in addition to balanced trimming & nutrition, if you are sure of the mechanics and yet can't get rid of cracks, then they're likely infected. If so, resection & assertive topical treatment is also necessary. While I believe in removing as little wall tissue as possible, it's important to cut back as much as necessary, because wall infection can be very insidious & eat away at healthy tissue faster than it can grow. Good nutrition will also make a horse less susceptible to various infections too, but it doesn't negate the need to treat existing infections assertively.

Quote:

His hooves still crack, artificially, at the toe when he's in need of a trim(which is every 1-1 1/2 weeks)
Sounds like something's not right there Kyella?? Either his hooves are super weak for some reason & can't bear the slightest strain - in which case being more assertive about relieving them may be one important factor - or you're not being assertive enough at addressing the imbalances, so he's already 'overdue' by only a week or so post trim.

Kayella 10-20-2013 01:10 AM

His hooves grow rapidly. I have to take a pair of nippers to them at least every two weeks. It is most likely my trimming, definitely. I'm still learning on how to put a proper roll on them, which he definitely needs. I also have a tendency to not be more aggressive in my trimming. I'll do his feet one day, then see how I could have backed up his toe just a bit more the next day. I am definitely progressing, though, and learning the balance between taking too much and not taking enough. When you're only trimming two horses, you don't get much practice haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 10-20-2013 03:24 AM

^^Do take regular pictures after trimming & study them immediately. While as we all know, it depends on angles etc as to what you get, and pics may not be accurate, I find they can give you a different perspective to allow you to see what eludes your 'naked eye'.

Kayella 10-20-2013 03:31 AM

I always take pics before and after trimming and even send them to my farrier. He says I keep improving, which I can see as well. His hooves crack less often, and when they do, it's always when he's due for a trim.
Posted via Mobile Device