The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Never trained a reiner??? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/never-trained-reiner-296729/)

OffCourse 10-18-2013 11:12 AM

Never trained a reiner???

So the university I'm going to is letting me work with this young reiner. She is about 5 years old and already knows a lot. But she is sticky on couple things. I have worked with pleasure horses before and they liked the way i worked with the stock horses so they gave her to me to work with but i have no prior experience with resigners. any advice for working with her would be amazing!!!

frpulliam 10-22-2013 12:13 PM

Make sure your horse is soft from back to front. Lots of time in my program is spent on breaking down each part of the body and making sure each one moves independantly. If your horse gets tense circles can ease the tension. I flex all of mine at a walk trot and lope during circles to loosen the tension if it arises. Always remember that less is more. The harder you pull the harder you will have to pull.

SlideStop 10-22-2013 03:28 PM

What exactly is she "sticky" on?
Posted via Mobile Device

OffCourse 10-30-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3934082)
What exactly is she "sticky" on?
Posted via Mobile Device

She's is horrible with her left lead. some days she is an angel and will give it to me almost every time but then we have days like yesterday where i got it 3 times and every time was a huge process.
also holding her frame she gets it really nice but loses it really quick. i do the hold her until she shapes up and then release the pressure wait until she loses it then pick up again and etc.

she gets super quick in circles too

SlideStop 10-30-2013 10:51 PM

She really just needs a basic western tune up, I'd ride her like any other horse.

For her lead, does her tack fit? Is she arthritic? Any other reasons why she wouldn't be picking up that lead? Is it hard for her or is she being a jerk? One horse I ride in my lessons is an absolute Jack*** and won't pick up his left lead. My trainer gets on and he does it with the touch of q feather. He gets the reins right across his bum a few times and he is good to go. If she is sincerely having trouble with it your going to REALLY have to work on setting her up right. Get that hip to the insider or leg yield her out on a circle at the trot and ask when the weight is off the inside leg.

Idk how your trainer wants you to handle it, it a pretty sensitive topic from trainer to trainer, imo. I'd correct her as soon as her head comes up and release as soon as she relaxes. I'd also look into other reasons why she is reluctant to keep her head down. Again, pain? Tack? Are you to handsy with her? Are you sitting quietly in your saddle.

If she is picking up speed on those circles slow your pelvis down. Nothing kills me more then seeing someone say "idk why he's so fast!" Then you see them lope and their pelvis is pumping at 1000 miles per hour. Sit tall, slow your hips and sink your weight down into your saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nell J 12-05-2013 12:15 AM

I understand your frustration... my first rein horse was trained beyond me... he buffaloed me too smart. I rode him at trainers and went what exactly did you teach him... (didn't say that just watched him hop on) OPPS it is super hard without the proper know how. I would take lessons under trainer. Obviously you have a good back ground and are doing fabulous!!! Also my gelding got super stubborn on right leads then progressed to a buck. Chiropractic was the issue...