The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Venting.... about a friend & her new horse... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/venting-about-friend-her-new-horse-29685/)

brookelovesparelli 06-15-2009 08:58 PM

Venting.... about a friend & her new horse...

Im friends with this girl, she's in my year (year 8) & goes to my school. She's resonantly bought a TB mare. (that's 22 years old). I asked her why she didn't really think about the type of horse etc. & look around. IN stead shes gone off with her parents (who have no experience with horses that im a were of) & bought the first horse she saw, that happened to be a TB mare 22years old 'that looked pretty' so she got it. Now a bit of back ground one this girls, lets call her 's'. S is a compleat beginer to horse riding. S is 13yrs old. But to day she informed me that she 'HATES' her horse & shes selling it for a new horse that is good & liseneds to her. Aparently her horse she already has bucks & rears. When i asked her if the saddle fitted corectly she said that it did. So i continued to ask her if it had been fitted propaly & she said no. (WELL HOW IN THE BLOMEN WORLD DO U KNOW GIRL!) So she's now selling this horse for a better one. A better one being an arab filly. (not yet broken in) that her & her dads going to train. Arrhhh i just fell so bad for her horse! she makes me so mad some times. & i try really hard to keep my cool when i talk to her but as soon as i bring up the topic of her horse etc. She gets so angry at me & thinks im paying out on her horse. When im just asking her about her intentions etc. with the horse & selling it etc. All the resunable questions that i'd expect my mum to ask. & did ask. Im now looking back at my situation with horses & my first horse & im really glad my parents made me wait. Sorry guys just needed to vent alittle. :P

Jillyann 06-15-2009 10:13 PM

Definitely don't feel bad about venting! Especially on here!

I know kinda what your going through. One of my 'friends' is somewhat the same way. She just doesnt have her own horse yet. THANK THE GOOD LORD ABOVE!

And it's so frustrating to watch, and know there is nothing you can do to help her, or the horse.

Sorry i offered NO help in this situation. but just stay strong, and maybe try to talk to her about getting a trainer for her next horse, or something. =(

you're in a tough place.

Chickerdoodle13 06-15-2009 10:33 PM

I feel for you and her poor horses!

I had a friend a few years ago take me along when he was looking at horses to buy. First of all, the place he was looking was owned by a well known (And much disliked) horse trader. Second of all, this horse he brought me to see was dead lame in its back hoof. Even though I pointed this out, he still insisted on getting the horse vet checked. Well, wouldn't ya know...the horse had spurs in its ankle so bad that it will most likely be unridable for its entire life. This was a young horse too!

Sooo...this same horse trader calls my "friend" back and says she has another horse for them to look at. They go to look at it and the lady pulls out an exhuasted horse for them to ride. Apparently she ran it on the trails right before they showed up to try him out. Of course he's going to be good for them! So, with little consideration, they bought him the next day after the horse trader called and said they had to make an immediate decision because "other people" were interested. They bring the horse home and surprise, surprise...the horse has a serious bucking issue!

It just amazes me the things some people will do! Some people just see a horse as a throw away item and they sell it when it no longer suits their needs. I've bought on an impulse before, but I've always known what I was getting myself into! I'm sorry you have to put up with this girl's ignorance. The best you can do is try and educate her, but its awfully difficult getting through a brick wall!

brookelovesparelli 06-16-2009 12:57 AM

Yeah! it's just so frustrating! She's just so silly, & has no common scene. Even my roll call teacher knows it too. She told 'S' that she should get me to go out & help her. :P lol But im not the kind of experience she needs she just needs to have lessons etc. & research about horses before she gets one. Now what makes me even more made is this afternoon shes talking about getting a foal! ARRRHHH she frustrates me! im going to do what i can to talk her out of getting a poor foal oh god shes stupid! :P thanks guys for your understanding!

1dog3cats17rodents 06-16-2009 01:09 AM

She sound reasonable to me. I mean, if she can't handle her horse, it is only logical to get an unbroke arabian filly. I mean geez, what is she supposed to do, buy a well broke horse and pay for lessons?

No really though, you have my sympathy. I hate those kinds of people

Solon 06-16-2009 01:15 AM

Do you have your own horse? Is she maybe trying to sort of follow you by getting into horses for herself but she's too proud to admit she needs help?

Have you talked much to her about her decisions? Do you have a trainer that can talk to her parents? Or possibly direct her to horse sites with information on how much it costs to have a horse, training, etc?

Brighteyes 06-16-2009 02:57 AM

Grrr. She sounds like a major pain in the butt to me. :-x

You should give her a good talking to. Tell her it's really stupid to buy an unbroken horse and try to 'train' it. If she can't fix the problems that her first horse has, she isn't fit to train a greenie.

Also tell her that if she really wants a horse to get an old, calm one. Than preceed to ask her a basic horse question. If she answers wrong, tell her to forgot it, get some lessons, and than think about a horse.

It's tough love. Sometimes it's the only thing that works. I'm tellin' ya, if she is a real friend, she'll understand. If she wants to get into a huff about it, she isn't even worth it.

brookelovesparelli 06-16-2009 04:02 AM

i now i now! i haven't got time to reply properly but will later tonight!

brookelovesparelli 06-16-2009 06:59 AM

I don't have a trainer, or anything like that. Just Wild_spot lol she tells me what i need to know, whe i don't now it. (more than 50% of the time lol). Yes i so have my own horse. And she was talking about getting a horse when we first met. Im not really (this may sound really mean) but, Im not really caring if what i tell her about the horse situation recks our friendship as i believe the horses safty as well as her own is more important. I was thinking about other options for her riding etc. & my only thing i could come up with would be a riding school. This is so so dog, but i wouldn't want her riding my horse. Im sorry & I feel bad for saying that but its true. ARRRHH she angers me so much lol, just some of the stuff she says is so stupid! It's almost like she's trying to 'leave up' with me when ever i say somthing got to do with horses, she'll like try & correct it. But she has no idea what she's talking about. I mean im not one to talk i have a lot to learn about horses, etc. & you can never now to much. If only i was more experanced, I'd offer to help her out etc. Teach her the basics, like how to hold your reins properly etc. I guess its really not up to me, in the end. She'll do what she likes. :S sadly

ridingismylife2 06-16-2009 08:14 AM

wow..she sounds annoying! And I agree that the horses safety and hers should come before friendship. Maybe you could tell her parents (email,letter) that what she is doing is wrong and that she needs to learn more about horses and needs riding lessons before she gets her own horse?..