The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   How to correctly lope (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/how-correctly-lope-296977/)

kfreker 10-18-2013 05:05 PM

How to correctly lope

So this has to go back to my other thread on my horse not loping for a long period of time.. i rode him today and he was great, we did the out door pen and he went around the corners just finee and he did go for a longer period of time then usual. I did notice a few things though...i was leaning back while loping which lead to my hands being way up which could of put pressure on him and he was just doing what i accidentally told him to do which is stop. Another thing is that i did notice i am a little more bouncy than i would like so that would also probably make him stop ( if i was off balance) So my question is now WHATS THE BEST WAY TO CORRRECTLY LEARN HOW TO LOPE. what is the best way or steps to be in sync with the horses motion so i dont get that boucnyness?

pbeebs 10-18-2013 05:17 PM

Have you had lessons? If not, I would strongly suggest taking some lessons with a trainer to help guide you. I think you need some one there to correct you and help you in person. This is important because you need to not only be able to smoothly sit the lope and not bounce around, but being able to tell if your horse is in the right or wrong lead is crucial. Also you must be able to determine what is "normal" feeling so if your horse is off you can feel it.

Alexandra V 10-18-2013 06:06 PM

I agree with the above, a real trainer would be able to do much more for you than any of us online. However, when I learned it was mostly self-taught (my instructor at the time wasn't much of an instructor...) and what I found helps is to anticipate the movements you'll have to make.

I've heard people describe it as "painting the saddle with your but", which I guess could work for you. You have to roll your hips forward and then backward as the horse rocks the same way. The secret is not being tense, because the more tense your muscles are, the more you'll bounce around. Try keeping a shorter rein so that it forces you to sit a bit more forward (rather than leaning back like you said you do) and make sure to breathe deeply. This keeps your core muscles from bunching up and making you go rigid. Ideally, you should be able to be moving your hips and lower body independently of your torso.

If you find yourself having trouble getting into the rhythm of the canter or you start to bounce at any point, I find it also helps to go into a half seat or 2 point for a bit and then sit back down once you've gotten your rhythm back.

I hope that helped!
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 10-18-2013 06:13 PM

tinyliny 10-18-2013 06:32 PM

you got one real nice horse there!

LyraFreedom 10-20-2013 11:58 PM

I'm glad you started this forum! Allot of younger people do not canter 'Lope' correctly. Thanks everyone for all this amazing information.

dommycob 10-21-2013 01:53 PM

There is not a 'best way' just keep on practising. When I was learning to canter I kept watching videos on YouTube and that helped. Also try looking loping on the lunge so you can concentrate on your position without worrying about your horse

SorrelHorse 10-21-2013 01:56 PM

Do it more. Sit back, relax, flow with your horse, and try to make it look effortless.

I highly recommend a trainer to help you.

kfreker 10-21-2013 03:03 PM

thanks guys for the feed back, so i had my friend come out to help me, and we figured out what is wrong. ( she has yrs and yrs of riding experience) She got on my horse and started going and loped for a while, and she said he just needs a lot of leg and squeeze so he has to listen and knows what you want. Well i tried this and nothing because my legs get tired after a 30min ride, and i cant squeeze as hard anymore, and he knows this haha **** horse ...but im starting to do inner leg excercies so i can get better at this

jmike 10-21-2013 04:03 PM

that was a really good video --- what does he mean by "stopping with your hips" ?