The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Remedy Needs Surgery! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/remedy-needs-surgery-29699/)

FGRanch 06-16-2009 02:21 AM

Remedy Needs Surgery!

At the beginning of the month Remedy, my two year old AQHA filly, got a small bump on her jaw. Over the course of the next couple of days the lump grew larger and larger until it finally burst. It looked nearly identical to an abcess caused by distemper. The only difference was the amount of pain that she was in. I have seen horses who have abcess' from distemper who don't show any signs of discomfort. Rem clearly was very uncomfortable. Last wednesday the vet came out and took x-rays. It turns out that there is a fracture in her jaw. (Probably an old injury that took awhile to work out) There was a build up of bacteria sitting in the fracture that finally worked it's way down to her teeth and caused an abcess below her second cheek tooth.

She is going in to the clinic on Thursday for surgery. They will open up the jaw deal with the fracture, clean the infection out and pull out both the second cheek baby tooth and the second cheek mature tooth (three year old tooth)

It's a rare thing for this to happen and therefor a rare surgery but the surgeon informs me that the outcome looks great and she should make a full recovery.

This is why you should ALWAYS have money put aside for your horses, you just never know! In this case it was either pay for the surgery or have her put down., there was no alternative!

kitten_Val 06-16-2009 07:36 AM

Poor baby! I'm very sorry to hear about her! I wish her to heal fast after the surgery.

Luv 2 Trail 06-16-2009 02:22 PM

:-(I am so sorry to hear about Remedy! Sounds like your Vet is optimistic, though - hope she has an easy time with her surgery and recovery!

FGRanch 06-16-2009 11:51 PM

Thanks for the support guys! I feel bad for the poor girl. She's got such a great attitude I hope this doesn't affect her personality at all, or but her training to far back!

free_sprtd 06-17-2009 12:38 AM

oh im sorry to hear about the poor girl :( you're such a great mommy!! She's lucky to have you. everything sounds like it's going to go fine. Keep us updated

JustDressageIt 06-17-2009 12:49 AM

Tiff, I'm so sorry that this happened to your lovely filly. I'm sure she'll make an absolutely stunning recovery and will be better for it!
Best of luck! Keep us posted please!!

HalfPass 06-17-2009 09:49 AM

Hi there...
I am so sorry to hear baout the surgery! I have had my own fair share of surgeries and my horse has has one or two I think...can't remember...So I can totally sympathize with the way your feeling...
I too keep a little stash for my bg furry friend...
Good luck and all my best!
Half Pass

AussieDaisyGirl 06-17-2009 10:17 AM

Poor girl! I'm glad the vet is very enthusiastic about recovery!

RiddlesDarkAngel5 06-17-2009 01:59 PM

wow, i hope everything goes okay. make sure to keep us updated! she's so lucky to have a dedicated owner like you to take care of her when unexpected expenses come up. Your absolutely right when you say that horse owners need to be financially prepared for the unexpected.

smrobs 06-17-2009 02:03 PM

Wow, that is always scary when your baby has to go under the knife. I wish her well and my thoughts are with both of you. Good luck and keep that chin up. :)