The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Rescue mare questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/rescue-mare-questions-297073/)

Lauradb 10-18-2013 10:00 PM

Rescue mare questions

Hi everyone! Hey I rescued my first horse just a couple days ago. I've had horse all my life but never rescued one until now... That being said, this wasn't actually a rescue org, so there's not a lot of background on her. This is what the group I got her from said about her.

She's between 5-8, isn't in the best body condition, needs some TLC, due in the Spring, and is broke.

Ok my question(s) are theses...
She does have something in her bag, but I can't tell if it's from weaning a foal off of her recently or if she's bred. I can see all of her ribs, but her hips aren't sticking out and she hasn't lost a lot of muscle tone either. However she DOES need groceries for sure. If she is pregnant and due in the spring would she be bagging up but not really showing her baby bump? I have some pictures of her but being new to this I don't know how to attach them.

Any advise would be much appreciated. I do plan on getting her to our vet, but she's pretty upset, and I'd like to gain her trust before we head off to the scary vet lol. This is only the 2nd we've had her home. But the not knowing is killing me hahaha. I haven't dealt with pregnant mares before either, and if she is bred I want to give them the best chances I can.

Thanks in advance!
LB

Winterose 10-18-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauradb (Post 3904769)
Hi everyone! Hey I rescued my first horse just a couple days ago. I've had horse all my life but never rescued one until now... That being said, this wasn't actually a rescue org, so there's not a lot of background on her. This is what the group I got her from said about her.

She's between 5-8, isn't in the best body condition, needs some TLC, due in the Spring, and is broke.

Ok my question(s) are theses...
She does have something in her bag, but I can't tell if it's from weaning a foal off of her recently or if she's bred. I can see all of her ribs, but her hips aren't sticking out and she hasn't lost a lot of muscle tone either. However she DOES need groceries for sure. If she is pregnant and due in the spring would she be bagging up but not really showing her baby bump? I have some pictures of her but being new to this I don't know how to attach them.

Any advise would be much appreciated. I do plan on getting her to our vet, but she's pretty upset, and I'd like to gain her trust before we head off to the scary vet lol. This is only the 2nd we've had her home. But the not knowing is killing me hahaha. I haven't dealt with pregnant mares before either, and if she is bred I want to give them the best chances I can.

Thanks in advance!
LB

if they said she is due in spring that means she is preg... you need to get a vet out to see her asap and do an ultrasound. she also needs to be given different feed for a preg mare. your best option is to get a vet out sooner rather than later

Lauradb 10-18-2013 10:43 PM

Well they said she was bred because she came from a herd of mares that was running with a couple of studs. So it's very possible that she has weaned recently or that she is bred.

The "group" I bought her from is a slaughter horse broker. A mom and daughter run it. Mom does the slaughter end and allows her daughter to choose any horses that show potential to be good horses, and sell them to individuals before they're shipped to slaughter. Having said that they don't get much info on these horses. Since these 8-10 mares came in who we're running with studs they expect them all to be bred. A lot were very obviously in foal, but my mare is a huge ? to me.

Winterose 10-19-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauradb (Post 3905041)
Well they said she was bred because she came from a herd of mares that was running with a couple of studs. So it's very possible that she has weaned recently or that she is bred.

The "group" I bought her from is a slaughter horse broker. A mom and daughter run it. Mom does the slaughter end and allows her daughter to choose any horses that show potential to be good horses, and sell them to individuals before they're shipped to slaughter. Having said that they don't get much info on these horses. Since these 8-10 mares came in who we're running with studs they expect them all to be bred. A lot were very obviously in foal, but my mare is a huge ? to me.

you need to get a vet out there, not all horses significantly show just like not all people get huge baby bumps

greentree 10-19-2013 10:05 AM

Check out some of the threads in the foaling section for blow-by- blow photos of mare's udders. Especially Sunshine's. They got her with no idea of due date, also, and her vet said "a couple of weeks" which turned into 6 months!! So, don't believe everything the vet says.

Your mare should have Rhino vaccinations at 5, 7, and 9 months, and about 6 weeks before foaling, get a full vaccination set, so that she passes that immonity to the foal.

It is probably too late to do an ultrasound, but the vet can palpate a pregnancy. It willl only be a guess as to due date, though, so I would start vaccinating her ASAP.

Good Luck,

Nancy