The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   How To Give Advice to A New Rider??? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/how-give-advice-new-rider-297145/)

Petlover500 10-18-2013 11:12 PM

How To Give Advice to A New Rider???

I have been aroound horses my whole life, and ridden my whole life. but i only have started to really get into horses and really start to learn about 3 years ago. i am 13 now, and can learn faster and easier now. but anyway, i have a cousin who just got interested in horses. she never really liked them because one killed her dog. (all the dogs fault really but never mind that)
she is a real beginner, and i want to help her with her horse. ...but i dont know how... she just turned 10 BTW. do you know any good ways for me to help her with this? her horse is a dapple quarter horse thats 14. he has very bad thresh so he cant canter or trot at all, but i figured we wouldnt start with that, lol.
do you know any good training techiques for begginers, so i could teach her?
-Petlover

Petlover500 10-19-2013 04:07 AM

Any one? ;D

crezzard 10-19-2013 04:23 AM

It's probably best to get a qualified riding instructor because no offence meant at all but if you don't know where to start your not the right person to teach her.
Who bought her a horse if she can't ride?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Skyseternalangel 10-19-2013 04:44 AM

You need to get the thrush under control before you do anything with this horse since it's apparently lame.

I agree on having an instructor teach her. Even once every other week is better than nothing.

Petlover500 10-19-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crezzard (Post 3906665)
It's probably best to get a qualified riding instructor because no offence meant at all but if you don't know where to start your not the right person to teach her.
Who bought her a horse if she can't ride?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I found that quite rude.

She got a horse for her birthday.
And she wants to know how to ride.
Everyone has to start at one point or another.
And teachers, well that can't just go off and teach! They have to learn the right way to do it.

Petlover500 10-19-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 3906713)
You need to get the thrush under control before you do anything with this horse since it's apparently lame.

I agree on having an instructor teach her. Even once every other week is better than nothing.

Yeh, we are trying with the thrush.
He isn't exactaly lame, just is sore after a ride soonetimes, and can't trot hard or canter.

What is they can't pay for an instructor???
That's why I was asking about it. :)

Thanx guys.

farahmay 10-19-2013 05:57 AM

I don't think they were being rude, just real with you, I've been riding for 2 years and I absolutely am not ready for my own horse.
Has any adult got horse experience around you ? Such as parents, aunts/uncles? If so, let them help you guys, if not.. Well, I wouldn't ride the horse until the thrush is better, but start of with basics, rein aids, leg aids, balancing in the saddle, walking, halting, etc etc, depending on if you ride western or English the commands will differ but yeah, that's it.

Also, teach her how to take care of her horse, this is what I would start of with actually, grooming, tacking up, and all that.

Good luck :)

bkylem 10-19-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petlover500 (Post 3906833)
Yeh, we are trying with the thrush.
He isn't exactaly lame, just is sore after a ride soonetimes, and can't trot hard or canter.

What is they can't pay for an instructor???
That's why I was asking about it. :)

Thanx guys.

I don't think anyone was rude or insulting, but to ask why she got a horse before she could ride is a fair question Thr posters were just looking out for all three of you ( including the horse). The response regarding an instructor was also fair as you made no mention of finances in your post and one would naturally assume that probably isn't an issue since she can afford the upkeep of a horse
I personally thought they were simply trying to help based on the information you gave .

jimmyp 10-19-2013 07:53 AM

Rude? You asked a question and got an answer..... welcome to the world of big folks. At 13 you have no business taking on the role of instructor. Esspecially if you cant take a little bit of advice you dont like. Folks are killed by horses every day.

My assumption is that someone taught you to ride..... where is that person? I would say your cousins first lessons should be in the care and maintenance of her horse and vetting comfortable around her horse. Once the thrush is cleared up she MIGHT be ready to start riding.

Saddlebag 10-19-2013 09:13 AM

My priority was to teach kids how not to get kicked, how to read the horse's body language ie ears turned back to listen, or ears flattened in anger, the tail flick that warns of a kick. How to pick up and clean the hooves and in her case daily soaks and the application of trush medication.