The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding Without Hands! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-without-hands-297233/)

Petlover500 10-19-2013 12:39 AM

Riding Without Hands!

I find it quite a pleasure to ride my horse @ a trot or canter with no hands! just holding on with my legs, arms out to the sides. it lets my horse run free'er, but i can and will take control of where i want her to go if i need to :)
:D
do you guys like doing this? :P :lol:

Ebonyisforme 10-25-2013 04:14 PM

I absolutely LOVE it!!! Haha

Saddlebag 10-25-2013 05:31 PM

You may find it becomes a better ride if you hold your hands as if you were holding the reins.

BuildDaBunny 10-26-2013 02:03 AM

I love to do that :) My instructor uses that technique in her camps to teach us not to use the reins for balance. It feels like flying almost :)

farahmay 10-26-2013 02:05 AM

It's amazing! Plus it improves my balance and leg/seat aids ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Bedhead 10-26-2013 02:41 AM

I know it would be better if I did stuff like that, but I just...

Don't get me wrong, I love and trust my horse, but he's just not the type to be doing anything 'outside the norm' with- no bareback, no no-reins, or bridleless, or riding in a halter. I adore him dearly, but he's far too quirky and doesn't have enough 'woah' for it.

Them Saddle Seat Arabs :|

There's this one lovely little mare I'm riding and I ride her with a western bridle? That counts? (for me, being a saddle seat rider, not having the contact is just as good as not having reins at all!)

Petlover500 10-30-2013 03:51 AM

LOL! sounds like u r doing great!!!!!
i still have reins, but i just dont hold on to them, because sometimes, boy do i need em! she will take off wherever she wants at a pure galllop! (usually headed for the barn xD )