The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Critique my drawing! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/critique-my-drawing-297473/)

faiza425 10-19-2013 04:15 PM

Critique my drawing!

1 Attachment(s)
What do you think? How are the proportions, shading, lines etc. and the facial features? I feel like the ear and nostril might be a bit small. Also, how is the overall 'action' of the drawing?
Thanks in advance?

faiza425 10-19-2013 04:19 PM

Not sure why it's sideways haha. Hang on :)

SaskGal 10-19-2013 04:24 PM

The ears are too small, put more shadding in the horse mane that's above the head.
Posted via Mobile Device

faiza425 10-19-2013 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here goes...

SaskGal 10-19-2013 04:28 PM

But overall not bad at all. Keep up the gpod work! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

SaskGal 10-19-2013 04:37 PM

Soften the line above on the horses neck and that harder patch on its chest. Maybe add a little shadding in the curve between the neck and the head but not to dark.
Posted via Mobile Device

SJxDreams 10-19-2013 05:39 PM

It's coming along well, but I agree that the ears are too small, and not defined enough. I couldn't tell that was an ear to be honest. And it needs moving down a touch.

Define the eye a little more too. I have always found that the eye makes the drawing come alive. Don't be afraid to make your shading darker. That goes for everywhere aswell - even if it's a grey horse you can still shade darker.

WhyAHorseOfCourse 10-19-2013 05:50 PM

Very nice! I like the lines around the throat latch and the over all feeling of the drawing.
Try adding a little more shading around the dark parts that you have(behind the ear and around the nose). Think of where the light source/s are and how it would affect the shadows. Define the hair on the crest with bolder lines and maybe flip a tiny piece of mane over onto this side of his neck so that it doesn't look like it was shaved off :)

Kayty 10-19-2013 08:39 PM

Great work!! I really like this and I think you're on a good track with your art. How long have you been drawing?
I agree with the above that the ears could be a little bigger, but by bringing some bolder shading in the appearance of the ears will improve without changing the size.
My biggest criticism is the lack of depth. The drawing itself is beautiful, but the scary bit is always adding deeper shadows and highlights. As a professional artist, this still scares me because if you go one step too far the drawing can be ruined. I work primarily in pastels, so have a little more leeway than in graphite, but always feel the same way when doing my graphite and charcoal work.

Have a look at this piece I did a few years ago:
Razz - Horse & Hound Artistry

Notice the depth of shading? Where there are dark shadows, ADD THEM. Where there are highlights, leave them white. Then add the detail in between. Even in my pastel work, I first add the deep shadows, and the highlights, before starting anything else. It makes the drawing come so much more alive and start to pop out of the page.
With graphite, adding shadows are not about pressing harder with a pencil. I like to use an 8B for my darker areas, and just layer it until it is at the depth I am happy with. That way you don't risk putting down one layer hard, that is too dark and you can't get rid of it.

See if you can rework yours with some shadow, and put the photo up here when you've finished :)

faiza425 10-22-2013 05:06 PM

Thanks guys! I will try out all of your suggestions when I find the time :-)

Kayty - I've been drawing on and off for about a year or two. And yes, one of my biggest challenges is shading! I'm always nervous about making it too dark. For the darker areas I think I used a 2B and that's the softest I currently own. But I'll definitely try the layering technique as oppose to trying to get it the right darkness all at once.