The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   how old does a stallion have to be! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-old-does-stallion-have-298/)

Gammelquarterhorses 01-11-2007 08:50 PM

how old does a stallion have to be!

Hey I am looking at buying a stallion and I have narrowed it down to two, a ten year old or a 2 year old. I have heard that they can be breeding at 2 but I dont want to push it I think I would wait till he's three but just curious! Thanks

mynameisntlola 01-11-2007 09:10 PM

Stallions are supposed ta mature at bout a year old. They definitely shouldn't be bred before the age o two. So it ain't necessarily bad ta bred im at two but ta tell ya what I'd do, I would wait ta breed im. Good luck.

Gammelquarterhorses 01-11-2007 09:14 PM

I thought I would wait too! I wouldnt want him to be stressed out.. thanks for the input

barnrat 01-11-2007 11:33 PM

Amanda, I would also contact your veterenarian and see how old is to old and how young is to young.

Gammelquarterhorses 01-11-2007 11:42 PM

I did and he told me 2 for a stallion to breed and 3 for a mare to be bred. I might wait and see how the boy is , who know I may get him and find him better suited for a gelding!!!

barnrat 01-11-2007 11:51 PM

Totally, there was a stallion that my friend was taking care of, the guy who owned him knew nothing about horses and put the stallion in with his mare (actually hoping to breed them) the stallion had bad conformation and really beat up the mare, we have needles on the property, a bandage that was bloody (blood dripping out of the bag), and found the mare with her leg and face ripped open bone showing.....Seriously worst thing I have ever seen. Then the stallion tried to attack and hurt my friend. I hated seeing this and know that I think back to it I think I should have reported it. The wounds on the mare were not even seen by a vet

I told the owner that he needed to geld his stallion and that he seriously needed to call the vet for the mare...I last heard that he did but they really had no idea what they were doing.

Gammelquarterhorses 01-11-2007 11:57 PM

There was a breeder who had an hypp n/h stallion who was VERY aggressive towards people, I think that it was the lack of training he recieved. All he basically did was breed and sit in a stall.

" If there is a gelding who is more talented and better looking that your stallion geld him"

My old dressage teacher taught me that :lol:

barnrat 01-12-2007 12:00 AM

I agree amanda!

(you did dressage, I always thought you were BIG into western...) :shock:

Gammelquarterhorses 01-12-2007 12:12 AM

I started at Sally Queal Riding Center in Ponca HIlls Nebraska. I took around 5 years of lessons. I also have taken jumping lessons at American Legacy stables in Omaha Nebraska, Western Pleasure at Woodland Trail Council Bluffs Iowa, and some barrel racing lessons back at American Legacy. I am trying to experience and learn all I can.

I will be taking a breeding management class at Iowa State University on the 5&6 of February. I think you learn about everything! You even get to collect from a stallion and give a ultrasound!

WOW I am talking and talking. Oops!

barnrat 01-12-2007 12:23 AM

do you plan on returning what the stallion right fully owns??! JK!

Sounds like fun!