The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Feed options for my foster horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feed-options-my-foster-horse-298001/)

Nvr2L8 10-20-2013 11:21 AM

Feed options for my foster horse

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I am fostering a horse that was/is at a rescue I volunteer at. She was very thin when they got her at the end of March this year. She has had her teeth floated and everything is good. She has no dropping of food when she eats.

She is currently on 3 quarts (I need to weigh this) of Safe Choice, 4 quarts Triple Crown Triple Crown Safe Starch Forage, 1/2 scoop of hoof supplement, 1 1/2 scoops Cool Calories 100, and she gets that each morning and night. She also gets about 7 pads of hay a day.

Now she has picked up weight since she came thank goodness, but I am thinking there might be better feed options out there. I added the Cool Calories 100 but I am looking for an alternative since there seems to be the powder in the bottom of her bowl a lot so it's getting wasted.

The owner of the rescue feeds her in the morning and I feed her every evening when I bring her in. I set up her a.m. and p.m. feed in the evenings for the next day so I really need easier handling choices.

I was looking a the Safe Choice Senior Feed but it doesn't have but 1% more fat content than the original so not sure if that is worth a switch. I am thinking there might be a better feed to go with then adding the low starch forage an the Cool Calories.

The top photo is from when they first got her and the second one if from about 3 weeks ago and the third one is from yesterday.

Any ideas?
Debbie

deserthorsewoman 10-20-2013 12:18 PM

Alfalfa. Hay or soaked pellets. You can soak in the evening for morning and vice versa.
I would, unless dealing with an IR horse, ditch the LS forage and the Safe Choice and the CC, and give her TC Senior, amount as it says on the bag given with hay.
She's not super thin but is lacking muscle. You need good protein to build muscle. Alfalfa will provide that.

Nvr2L8 10-20-2013 12:24 PM

Thank you! We used to give her soaked alfalfa cubes but she hated them and wouldn't really eat them. I will check out the TC Senior.

deserthorsewoman 10-20-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvr2L8 (Post 3915217)
Thank you! We used to give her soaked alfalfa cubes but she hated them and wouldn't really eat them. I will check out the TC Senior.

Cubes really don't soften all the way through, try alfalfa pellets, they fall apart nicely. Alfalda hay would work too;-)

spirit88 10-20-2013 03:45 PM

Alfalfa pellets work real well and soak and fall apart easly iam currently feeding them to my horse. Cant finda alfalfa hay around here right now all the hay suppliers have sold out already.

Idrivetrotters 10-20-2013 05:22 PM

Actually, her weight appears fine on the pics, just out of shape/lacking topline which for a lot of horses only comes back by working.

What is her current exercise program? Is she broke do you know?

I would start handwalking her to start, and once she is walking for 20 mins than either start teaching her to pony or start her under saddle.

Toplines are sometimes the last thing to come back on horses (we just rescued a TWH mare that is about 200lbs underweight and her topline is just tragic)

Good luck with her, she is a cute looking mare, and thank you for rescuing/fostering her!

Nvr2L8 10-20-2013 09:17 PM

Thanks, everyone! I think you guys are right with the muscling issue though.

Idrivetrotters, Right now with it getting dark out earlier, I don't get off work early enough to work her and got all my barn chores done. I have been fostering her for about a month. The weekend is the only time that I get to really work with her. She is good and knows a lot about pressure/release. She is a nice little mare, very sweet, but has a headshy/tossing issue. I can just start hand walking her on the weekends. I have also just had her walk/jog, back up, change directions on the lead rope to see what she knows. She also let me rub her all over with a plastic bag and was okay with that as it was on the end of my little "carrot stick".

She is pretty skittish and spooky sometimes and other times she is fine. She is head shy and has a cloudy spot on her right eye. She also pretty much refuses to let me pick her hooves on her right side too. She has done some little rears while trying to pick up that right side. I know that is a dangerous situation. She lets me pick her left side fine. I think she might have had an injury to that side or arthritis. Who knows. I have mentioned it to the rescue owner what I have noticed.

They said she w/t through the auction at Camelot Horse Auction in NJ. I am a bit nervous getting on her with her having a head shy/tossing issue and she can half rear at this time. There is a girl that does some training and can ride her to feel her out. I would feel better working with her on the ground to get to know her personality a bit before I would feel confident to get on her.

mrstorres2566 10-20-2013 09:21 PM

I don't think she is thin, just that she lacks muscle. I would use tri-amino. It really helped my guy build up his top line.

SueNH 10-20-2013 09:33 PM

You could try adding rice bran to her food. That's 20% fat.
One of mine gets it her food because I have 2 air ferns here too and the diet is pretty low starch and fat. She does like it and usually tries to eat that first. Cool calories was a flop with mine too but I can hide a little in the rice bran and she will eat it that way.
Since cool calories is just powdered vegetable oil with no other real nutrition in it I'd rather use the rice bran anyway.

Nvr2L8 10-20-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueNH (Post 3919649)
You could try adding rice bran to her food. That's 20% fat.
One of mine gets it her food because I have 2 air ferns here too and the diet is pretty low starch and fat. She does like it and usually tries to eat that first. Cool calories was a flop with mine too but I can hide a little in the rice bran and she will eat it that way.
Since cool calories is just powdered vegetable oil with no other real nutrition in it I'd rather use the rice bran anyway.

Thanks, I might just give that a try.