The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Tips for a good dressage score? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/tips-good-dressage-score-29814/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-17-2009 08:30 PM

Tips for a good dressage score?

My first show EVER is this weekend...it's an eventing mini trial. Now, the jumping portions are pretty clear cut, but the dressage is what I'm getting nervous about!

My trainer tells me to just relax, that I'll do fine, but I'm such a perfectionist I of course have to obsess over this and get as much advice as humanly possible lol!! :lol:

Soooo what tips do you have for me on how to get a good score on my dressage test?? (for those interested in the test, it's Intro Test A)

THANKS!!

eventerdrew 06-17-2009 08:40 PM

RELAX! is the first one. haha. If you aren't relaxed, Sandie has no chance of being relaxed!

Use your corners, they look for that.

Going down center line straight is also pretty important, as well has having at least a fairly square halt. You know how to do the salute right? Just checking because one of the girls I know went down to X and did a military style salute! haha.

I also find that when you are done with the test and after you salute, letting the reins loose, patting your horse, smiling, and telling your judge "thank you" helps you win some brownie points!

Make sure your trot is rhythmic and balanced and that her head carriage stays fairly consistent. But since you are in an intro division, they will be fairly leanient (sp?) on you because the expect horse and/or rider to be green. They will be pretty impressed if you can be rhythmic and balanced at the intro level.

Make sure to listen for the whistle/bell/horn that they will be using to cue you into the arena. You have 60 seconds to get in the arena. But that's more time than you think! you can afford to go around the arena once if you are in a spot where it's not convenient to turn around.

I'm sure there are things that I am missing... but that's what I can think of for now.

GOOD LUCK!!!! I'm so excited to hear how you do!

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-17-2009 09:01 PM

Thank you eventerdrew!! :-) I'm not sure why the dressage is making me so nervous! I have a horse who just started jumping 2 1/2 months ago...and so did I!! So you'd think of anything I'd be scared of the jumping! lol

Good tips :-) And yes, my trainer has been eventing for a loooong time so he's taught me every little detail haha...including how to properly salute.

but still...I stress lol

StormyBlues 06-19-2009 11:00 AM

Eventerdrew kinda covered it all! Relax, have fun!! I was so nervous about my dressage, but I had the best score in the class! :D Yes, when Blue and I finished our dressage, I let the reins lax, and huged her and was rubbing her neck so much, lol but I ment it! Rythem is a big key to a good round, and smooth transitions. Also, make sure your bit meets the requirements, cause it would be horrible to have the wrong bit! Good luck!

barefoot 06-19-2009 11:36 AM

Good advice so far, but just TRY. I realized one day that I barely even tried in dressage.. and I tried and was in 1st place! Some people go into a dressage ring, nervous, and just try to ride through it instead of take their time. It's not scary, it's sort of fun trying to look your best and making your horse look his best!

Carleen 06-19-2009 06:11 PM

Also, make sure you and your horse are both very clean and presentable!
Good luck.

DarkEquine 06-19-2009 07:23 PM

Everyone seems to have covered everything. Good luck and HAVE FUN!

IheartPheobe 06-19-2009 07:27 PM

Try your best to memorize the test... And relax. Make sure your horse is paying attention. Have fun! Make sure you know how to salute, and keep her gaits rythmic.. eventerdrew covered most of it!

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-19-2009 09:20 PM

Thanks everyone!! :-) I just got my ride times for Sunday and I am PSYCHED!!! And it appears that there are only 5 others in my class (Intro Rider)...so does that mean everyone is pretty much guaranteed a ribbon of some color? ;-)

I really want one, I just want to hang it on Sandie's stall to show everyone how proud of her I am...I don't even care what color it is!!! lol

StormyBlues 06-19-2009 09:29 PM

^be careful with the ribbons, if they are in the barn they are likly to get chewed and covered in dirt! but good luck and have fun!