The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   A few grooming questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/few-grooming-questions-2984/)

cjncowgurl 08-18-2007 09:05 PM

A few grooming questions

Ok, well I am new to horses and I was given a stud who is about 4 or 5. It took 7 days for me to be able to hose him down without a lead rope. He did that for me today! Progress.....lol He loves to drink from the spray nozzle so when he lets me spray him I let him drink. He makes this funny lip curling face when he does. Can anyone explain that one to me? Next, I try to brush him but he wants to bite the brush. I was told to let him smell it and when I try to let him he tries to bite it everytime. He'll let me brush by his chest and front flanks but no where else. Any tips? On to the next one....bathing....he will not let me bathe him. As soon as I get near him with the sponge he walks off. I know I probably sound stupid with these questions but this is my first horse so I am still learning. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone,
Nikki

karkar27 08-19-2007 03:40 AM

your questions

well the curling of his lip is called flehmen... it can be caused bu many things... when a stallion licks, sniffs or touching a in season mare... but also can be caused by sour, strong or unusual tastes and smells... mayb its juz coz the spray of the water on his lip mayb it tickles him...

mabe you shuld tie him up for grooming so he cant turn his head and must stay still

and when he walks of with this one try also tying him up so he has to be still and not walk away.

friesian_lover 08-19-2007 01:56 PM

wow! your new to horses and handling a stud? brave gal! Good for you. Yeah definately try tying him up like someone else had said, sometimes also horses can really tell if your new to horses or not so they can act silly, i was gonna say just make sure he knows whos boss BUT i have never ever handled a stallion so I dont know if thats good advice or not. Good luck!

cjncowgurl 08-19-2007 03:37 PM

He is so very gentle. He has never bred before. Never been near a mare at all. I am facing my fear of him an I think he is facing his fear of me. We are actually loving on each other now. He lays his head on my chest or shoulder and sometimes he tries to nip/bite my shirt. I was told this was his way of grooming me or loving on me. Not real sure. I just don't let him do it...lol. I'll try the tying thing but he still hates that brush. Thanks to all for replying.

Smiles,
Nikki

horse_luver4e 08-19-2007 07:23 PM

yeah the last thing i think of when i work with a stallion is wild or mean or unruly. It's scientificly proven that mares are more unpredictable than stallions. And gelding are the most predictable.

Only when they havent been handled proporly or started early enough will they become 'stud like' as they say.

I think your stud was probly worked with very nicely since you say he's very gentle.

People that hear me say this and they have a stallion say "oh my gosh no they are so unruly and I wouldn't trust them" and all that and I just say to them you just want to compete at who has the wildest horse and if they really do act like that, the owner doesn't know what there doing! lol

friesian_lover 08-19-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horse_luver4e
yeah the last thing i think of when i work with a stallion is wild or mean or unruly. It's scientificly proven that mares are more unpredictable than stallions. And gelding are the most predictable.

Only when they havent been handled proporly or started early enough will they become 'stud like' as they say.

I think your stud was probly worked with very nicely since you say he's very gentle.

People that hear me say this and they have a stallion say "oh my gosh no they are so unruly and I wouldn't trust them" and all that and I just say to them you just want to compete at who has the wildest horse and if they really do act like that, the owner doesn't know what there doing! lol

I agree, way too many people keep a stallion rather than gelding him just for bragging rights. Not the right reasons at all! I think unless the Stallion is very well behaved and being taken care of properly, or used for breeding he should just be gelded to give him a more fair life.

sweetypie16 08-19-2007 09:11 PM

:roll: So0 many people think that hey (refering to horse_luva) We own 3 stallions and non of them compare to some of the broodmares!! Stallions although can be quite demanding sometimes-but no where near as much as some mares!!

horse_luver4e 08-19-2007 09:20 PM

Exactly. I agree compleatly.

cjncowgurl 08-19-2007 09:44 PM

Yeah, alot of people keep telling me that I don't need a stallion. But I love him. My kids ride him. They pet him and love on him. He knows when he sees the bus pull up that they are coming to love on him and he waits at the gate for them. he even puts his head through the fence or gate down low so my kids can reach his cheeks. He has only crow-hopped once and it was with my sister-in-law. Never me or my kids. We do plan to geld him when the weather cools off but only because the vet said it would be better for him since we never plan to breed him. He is more gentle than my cousins gelding and mare. So, I do think it has alot to do with him being alone is whole life. The man that gave him to me rarely did anything with him. His children would pet him on occasion but that's about it. He had been riden about 5 times since he was a colt. And I have riden him and the kids have since. I think he just has a gentle nature. But anyway, I am new to horses and that's just the way I see him. Thanks everyone!

Smiles,
Rainbow's Mommy-Nikki

clipclop 10-04-2007 01:10 AM

for the grooming part of it .. if you look at horse_luver's picture of how the horse is crosstied that would be a much more helpful way of grooming him than if hes out in the open. or else just halter him up :D