The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Riding Quarter Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/riding-quarter-horses-298401/)

James77 10-20-2013 06:22 PM

Riding Quarter Horses

Hey all, got me a quarter horse! He's calm, gentle! Was having a time loping, wanted to come out of the saddle, I've read about relaxing....and that helped that problem, but now, my lower back is sore. Could it be that I'm not use to quarter horses? I'm use to gaited horses, this is my first quarter horse. Do I have to just get use to it? I love to trot and lope, but my lower back hurts, should I take some time off riding? Please help, this is a dream come true for me to have a quarter horse.

equine24 10-20-2013 07:44 PM

Well I'm not an instructor, but I too am a long time Quarter Horse owner and had to.....this is hard to explain.....ummmmm, I guess the best way is I kind of tighten my inner thighs and pretend to push the saddle up his neck with my stomach.....does that make sense? like keeping your upper body still and rolling your mid section forward. Ok.....someone bail me out here...LOL

Saskia 10-20-2013 09:39 PM

All horses have a different canter, and it can take a while to get used to some different ones. If you're being thrown around or stiff then perhaps you hurt yourself a bit. Just practice it, try to slow it down if you can and try to match the movements of the horse, relax but don't let your body be tossed about.

EponaLynn 10-20-2013 09:46 PM

I don't find quarter horses very comfortable to ride despite the fact that I love them but I came to them from Thororghbreds etc. with nice big (and smooth) strides. I've ridden gaited horses and LOVE them...QH's are no comparison to them in terms of comfort.

Alexandra V 10-21-2013 06:41 PM

I think like everyone said, you just need to get used to him. My first lease and lesson horse was a quarter horse, and while posting trot on him was nice and easy, I COULD NOT sit the canter. I figured it was mostly me until I went to a new lesson barn and rode a thoroughbred. The first time I ever rode him and cantered, I got it right away like I had been doing it forever.

I find quarter horses to be bouncier and overall harder to get used to their canter. I've gotten much better on them, but there's still no comparison to the smooth canter of a TB.
Posted via Mobile Device