The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   First time trail riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/first-time-trail-riding-298561/)

KennyT 10-20-2013 09:08 PM

First time trail riding

I took my dear little Walking horse on her first trail ride today. About 20 minutes in and 20 back out, just looking for some trail time with her. I had a good trail broke horse ahead and behind me and it was wonderful. My little girl has a disposition about her to be dreamed of, she is cucumber cool. The rider behind me all at once said " Kenny be careful, I her something in the woods!!". I looked and seen a deer cutting though and my horse spooked...well about as close as she has ever come to spooking. She turned a ear that way for a second, reached down and got a mouth full of grass and said " ho hum, a deer". I love that attuned.

Oreos Girl 10-21-2013 10:33 AM

Sounds like she is going to be a good trail horse.

Roadyy 10-21-2013 12:10 PM

Sounds like the making of a perfect trail horse. Congrats!

KennyT 10-21-2013 03:10 PM

Here is a little back ground on her. She was a surprise horse. Her moma was 5 and the stud wasn't much older and they all thought they were both too young to make babies. Well the stud left two mares pregnant before being gelded. They didn't realize her Momma was pregnant til one morning a fold was in the pasture. She was so weak she couldn't stand on her own, so every couple hours they held her up to nurse. In short she was handled, a lot, from the time she was born so she is the easiest going two year old you ever seen. She is going to be ( and really already is) a great horse. If ya' cant tell, Im kinda proud of my little girl.

Jolly Badger 10-22-2013 12:52 PM

She sounds like a gem.

And, did I read that right? The owners of her sire and dam thought five year old horses were "too young to make babies?"

Wow. . .facepalm.:-|

KennyT 10-22-2013 08:26 PM

She slipped in on them but worked out really well for me. She is a gem of a horse. It takes an A bomb to spook her, she will do anything I ask of her, I can walk up and cup my hand over her eye and spray fly spray and she wont move at all. She is a little small compared to her folks, but there was no prenatal care. She is 14.5 hands and just turned 2 back in March, so there is plenty of fill in time yet to come. She is my girl.

iRide Ponies 10-23-2013 03:37 PM

14.5 hands? Typo?

I wish my pony was that quiet. Thousands of trail miles and shes still looky.

KennyT 10-23-2013 07:59 PM

14.2...sorry...I took a video today of me kicking a beach ball all around and off her head as she grazed...she never batted a eye....I love my little Girl!!!!

Dustbunny 10-23-2013 10:32 PM

She sounds wonderful.
Got any photos?

Take it slow. She's just a youngster yet.

SammysMom 10-24-2013 08:30 PM

I love it! A situation like that made my decision on Sam. I went out on the trail with him during my test ride, and the then-owner was on her horse in front of us and held a big tree branch back so we wouldn't have to go through it. Except it slipped from her hand and smacked Sam right in the face, and then it got stuck on his bridle. I expected him to take off or rear, but he just did the body equivalent of shrugging and moved on. :)