The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Effort during jumping..?!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/effort-during-jumping-29862/)

HorsesAreForever 06-18-2009 03:41 PM

Effort during jumping..?!!

Okay I decided to being Chance over jumps today. woo well she jumped them but with NO effort. Know that I got it so she wont rush it.. well She will trot up to it.. stop for 1/2 a second then jump it then land it a trot and I get soo pissed about it.. I dont want to canter her up to the jumps yet... I tried pushing and pushing forward each time .. but no matter what she landed in a trot then got pissed and everything went down hill from there. :(

Advice pleaseeee thanks.

mayfieldk 06-18-2009 03:47 PM

Wait... did she get angry about it too?

HorsesAreForever 06-18-2009 04:27 PM

She started giving attitude. Because I kinda pushed it a bit and put it up to 2' to see if that would help but nopppe. So I got annoyed and pushed it to far. It wasnt a good ride today.

upnover 06-18-2009 05:00 PM

she's trotting over the fences because they're little and she's bored. that's ok. it means she's ready for more. more does not mean higher! first of all, if she lands at a trot, ask for the canter immediately. eventually she will start to land at the canter. make sure she is going at a forward marching trot to the fence.

if she's getting bored instead of raising the fences mix it up a little. go over the jump (ask for the canter then back to a trot) and do a serpentine or something and then go over another jump, do another exercise, and go over another jump. That way she's always thinking and ready for the next move. one of the things you need to teach a green jumping horse is that they need to keep going after the fence and always be looking for the next thing to do.

and remember, you cannot ever let your emotions get in the way of your training. if you ever get so frustrated you're going to affect your horse's progress, it's time to get off.

HorsesAreForever 06-18-2009 05:08 PM

Thanks so much! Im planning on throwing in my some jumping next time I ride and Ill try and add some more to make it more interesting.

And yeah I still need to learn to leave the emotions out of it.. I couldnt this time I should have gotten off when I started to get pissed. But I was determined to get her to behave :( Ill make it up 2 her with a better ride next time.

Thanks again.

Piper182 06-22-2009 11:01 AM

Some horses just don't know how to canter away from a fence too small. I knew a horse that was so well trained in western pleasure that when we turned her english, no matter how high the jump was, she wouldn't canter after the fence unless we kissed in the air.

make sure you don't get her completely out of trotting after the fence. mix it up. i've known plenty of horses that learn to canter after a fence and they eventually start to canter before the fence or take off after. you want her to wait to the base and land comfortably.