The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipping the Ears (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipping-ears-29907/)

Piper182 06-19-2009 10:30 AM

Clipping the Ears

I'm curious about something. For people with horses who's ears hate to clipped, how do you do it? I always see people sedating them, using twitches, twisting the other ear, but isn't there a better way? Does anyone know a way without pain, fear, or drousiness?

StormyBlues 06-19-2009 10:53 AM

You have to get them imune to the sound of the clippers. Rub them on their nose when they are off, and rub them all over their body, and when they tolerate that, do it when they are on, rub them all over the body, on their nose, and up by their ears. Don't do it all at once, take small baby steps

1dog3cats17rodents 06-19-2009 11:02 AM

You can get them used to it by first bringing it near their face when it is off, then on their body when it's on, then on near their face, etc.

But honestly, what's wrong with sedating/twitching them? Neither hurt the horse, and both allow you to SAFELY clip them, without fear they will suddenly toss their head and hurt themselves.

StormyBlues 06-19-2009 11:08 AM

^because it is just going around the problem, not fixing it properly. I think that twitching/sedating should only be done when a horse needs a surgical or medical procedure done that they can't be trained to tolerate

Piper182 06-19-2009 11:14 AM

Personally, I think people sedate horses too much and it can be dangerous. I think if they are so afraid that they need to be sedated to clip ears, their ears probably shouldn't be clipped until they are worked with.

Twitching I think just furthers the problem. It teaches the horse to dread his ears being clipped even more because something unpleasant will happen.

StormyBlues 06-19-2009 11:23 AM

^very ture. I only see twitching for like, doing meds in the eye, or giving shots, or scoping the horse, and sedating for injecting the hocks, or doing big medical procedures

goldilockz 06-19-2009 11:25 AM

I would much rather a person train/desensitize their horse than go straight to unnecessarily sedating them.

Sparkles 06-19-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1dog3cats17rodents (Post 330812)
But honestly, what's wrong with sedating/twitching them? Neither hurt the horse, and both allow you to SAFELY clip them, without fear they will suddenly toss their head and hurt themselves.

I agree, my horse had a bad experience with clippers, it's a very long story but he most likely never overcome the fear even though i've been working with him, we never know when he's going to remember that and just lose it. There's a big difference between them being bad and just saying no, when there is fear involved you want to do it the safest and calmest way possible for everyone's safety and well being.

StormyBlues 06-19-2009 03:36 PM

^try Parelli, it can un-do that damage

jody111 06-19-2009 05:09 PM

Sparkles my horse is the same... I cant get near her with clippers - and trust me I hae tried... Little clippers okay - but the big evil ones no way... spent a year trying to desenstise her too her but to no avail..

I think somethine REALLYbad has happen pre me as the way she behaves is completely out of her nature...

Stormyblues - havent had anything to do with paralli - what sort of activities would you suggest? Note I have NO issues with any other form of handling at all....