The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   It happened here - animal abuse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/happened-here-animal-abuse-29911/)

Sixxofdiamonds 06-19-2009 12:20 PM

It happened here - animal abuse.

2 Attachment(s)
This is an article from a nearby newspaper. The newspaper that I write for also did an article on it, I'll post it if Sheila sends me her story.

I think this is sickening. I have already talked to one of the equine rescue leagues that I'm friends with about it, unfortunately they cannot step in. Sadly, she said they JUST got in a mare and foal that looked to be in quite the same condition from another county.

Carolina Coast Online :: Portal to the News-Times, Arts Alive, This Week Magazine, Topsail Voice, Tideland News > Archives > Topsail Voice > News > Details revealed in Pender County deputy demotion

These horses were RETURNED to their abusive 'owners'. WTF?!?! And the deputy who seized the animals was demoted, because animal control wouldn't step in so he stepped up. A huge part of me wants to bring my trailer down there and just load them up. Screw the so-called owners.

ETA: TEN horses in this same condition were seized. Honestly.

Jillyann 06-19-2009 12:27 PM

WOW. um thats so wrong to return them! =(
when you look around it really is a sick world we live in. =(

..and in say, 8 months, 9 months? when the mare and foal are STILL not well, if not WORSE, whats going to happen then?!!?

errrgggg.

come pick me up, and we'll get them horses together! heh

peace love and paints 06-19-2009 12:33 PM

those pics are really sad. i cant believe they gave them back. i also cannot believe that the foal is alive.

Sixxofdiamonds 06-19-2009 01:30 PM

I couldn't believe the foal is still alive, either. I guess the Humane Society is looking into their animal control section. We'll see. I wouldn't mind adopting one of the horses, at least that way I know it would be getting fed.

goldilockz 06-19-2009 01:32 PM

OMG :( Her belly looks like she is just infested with parasites.

farmpony84 06-19-2009 01:44 PM

she is a pretty mare though. With a little love she could be beautiful. The people I got my first horse from did the same thing, they actually had a horse die in the field from colic. (they didn't know that it was sick). The neighbors would call the county and the county would come out but they would have feed in the shed and so the county would just give them a lesson on horse care and leave them. When I got my horse from them FINALLY after the county kept stepping in, he was about 200 lbs underweight. I ASSUME there is a legal issue to keep them from taking those horses? To me, I wouldnt even think you'd have to know anything about horses to see that mare has been half starved....

Sixxofdiamonds 06-19-2009 02:01 PM

Yeah, there is a legal issue going on. The deputy who removed the horses apparently did so without permission. So now it's a waiting game, and hoping none of the horses die in the meantime.

PoohLP 06-19-2009 02:57 PM

OMG, that is horrific. There is just no excuse for that. How could they possibly give the animals back, even with "legal issues." Clearly the animals are being neglected. :twisted:

It really sounds like there is a serious problem in the area with animal control. Do they just do nothing? Also, I just love the comment under the article about how the mare and foal look perfectly normal for a horse that has just given birth, because they are supposed to look "unkempt." Someone needs to tell that looney that there is a serious difference between "unkempt" and "emaciated." :twisted:

Nutty Saddler 06-19-2009 03:06 PM

It dosen't matter which country you're from - there are always people ( if that's what you want to call them ) around who are abusive.

I say, do unto them what they have done to the animals they abuse, I think that it is a solution that would put a stop to animal abuse overnight.
We however cannot do such a thing because it is against their human rights - I would say they are less than human.

hotreddun 06-19-2009 03:50 PM

Welcome to the American justice system where the perpetrator has all the rights and the victims have none. If one of the "good guys" steps out of line and skips some paperwork to save a life...he gets fired.