The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   horse is looking at my feet!!! why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-looking-my-feet-why-29916/)

Seeker 06-19-2009 01:09 PM

horse is looking at my feet!!! why?

I just bought a new paint gelding, trained to the tee. He's a perfectly behaved gentleman. The only annoying thing is that when I'm riding him, saddle or not, he turns is head and looks and my feet but, only when we are just standing there. Now, at first I thought maybe the saddle wasn't fitting properly, so I hopped on him bareback and he did it again. I got off, felt his back for knots and looked for signs of pain. Nothing... so I would like to know if it's a behaviour thing or if it warrants taking him to the vet to check. The previous owner didn't know because she had him running in the pasture for two years, only rode him when I went to look at him sooo... no help there. Any suggestions?

goldilockz 06-19-2009 01:15 PM

Maybe he likes your boots! I am of no help. Sorry :P

Sixxofdiamonds 06-19-2009 01:28 PM

I am training a little Quarter Horse mare who loves to smell my feet, too. Not sure why, I've seen a lot of horses do it in the past.

Angel_Leaguer 06-19-2009 02:06 PM

I wouldnt worry- Chloe (my older mare) would turn and lick my boots when we were just standing around for a long while (mostly in between classes) And when Im practicing flex with April she will tell me "enough already!!!" and try to nip at them.

Since your guy is standing when she does it I wouldnt think there would be any pain involved. Your feet hanging there may just catch the corner of his eye...

G and K's Mom 06-19-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldilockz (Post 330896)
Maybe he likes your boots! I am of no help. Sorry :P

:lol: Funny

farmpony84 06-19-2009 02:27 PM

your feet or legs are where the cues come from. He's looking at your feet because they are the evil things that make him work... My old QH used to get irritated with me and bit my feet....

MN Tigerstripes 06-19-2009 03:19 PM

LOL, Soda does that all the time. Only when we are standing still, he just smells them. Sometimes I rub his nose with my feet. I wouldn't worry about it unless he looks pissed or is trying to bite.

smrobs 06-19-2009 03:55 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it either. Maybe you are brushing his sides with your legs and he is looking and wondering "what in the world are you doing?"

eventerdrew 06-19-2009 03:59 PM

well at least he doesn't BITE your feet while standing :) That's what my mare does. She's getting better about it seems she has a little voice inside her head telling her to do so. haha

Maynme 06-19-2009 05:14 PM

I wonder if his previous owner always did the one rein stop with him. When ever I do it with my mare she licks my ankles. :)