The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Groundwork Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/groundwork-training-29986/)

southerncowgirl93 06-20-2009 03:17 PM

Groundwork Training

I was wondering when you start training your colts/fillies on groundwork. I've worked with some for a friend of mine. They didn't let me start training until they were two months old. I've always thought its better to start earlier, that way the foals have better manners when they get to be a few months old and when they are weanling's. I almost got a broken arm from one of the two month olds because she had never been worked with. They hadn't even gotten a halter on her! I always put halters on shortly after they are born so they get used to it. And usually I start training on groundwork when they are a week or two old, that way they learn how to lead and tie early on. So, when do you start working on groundwork?(leading, backing, standing still, etc.)

Ahsisi 06-20-2009 08:10 PM

Imprinting/Hands on as soon as they come out is a very important thing. The earlier you start working with them the better they are. (2-3 weeks old is probably the best time) They love to be brushed on and rubbed on (if you start right away) so I would try that for a few days. Then after he/she is trusting you try the halter. Go very slowly ( try to keep him between you and his mom to do it so you don't seperate them and scare him/her....use a leather breakaway foal halter with a catch strap). If he/she fights it, stop and try again later. You can start leading him/her after he/she gets accustomed to the halter (use the catch strap). Keep it to leading, and stopping when you ask at first. Then work up from there (2-3 months is a good age) and start trying to get them to stand still when grooming, have his/her feet handled. Try to keep things short and positive so you don't lose their attention. Good luck! Babies are so fun!

southerncowgirl93 06-21-2009 11:51 AM

Babies are fun! I think imprinting is great when its done correctly. If it's not done right, then the horse may not turn out so well.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-21-2009 12:23 PM

From day one IMO

southerncowgirl93 06-21-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackInTheSaddleAgain (Post 332170)
From day one IMO

I like your opinion. :-) It's really interesting to see how different people like to train their horses and when they think they should start working with foals.

Piper182 06-23-2009 12:10 PM

I agree, day one. I've also found that if the mama has good ground manners, working with them both helps the baby. Like teaching that "whoa" means stop. the baby doesn't want to separate from his mama so he learns the words.

southerncowgirl93 06-23-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piper182 (Post 333980)
I agree, day one. I've also found that if the mama has good ground manners, working with them both helps the baby. Like teaching that "whoa" means stop. the baby doesn't want to separate from his mama so he learns the words.

I never even thought of that. Thats a great idea. :)