The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   TURNOUT BOOTS (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/turnout-boots-3001/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-19-2007 11:59 PM

TURNOUT BOOTS

my husband and i have desided to turn abby out with turnout boots..i have a pair of brush boots her back legs but only put those on when i lunge her.

here's my problem, abby is turned out all the time and after they way we found her 2 nights ago i much prefer to have her front leg's pretected but can't find any on the net...does any one know what is a good name brand and type i should get?

jumpjaky 08-22-2007 04:26 PM

wolfwear are briil

englishcowgrl 08-25-2007 04:21 PM

ok..stupid question...what are the points of boots?i never used them, the only time people around here use them ( that i've seen) is went trailoring and sometimes jumping....

Kiki 08-26-2007 07:55 PM

Yeah I've never used them and Dana is around barbwire fences (which cant be helped) all the time and she's only had a few nicks over the last two years

her main source of injury is her feild buddy Delta LOL!!

Frog 09-03-2007 11:33 PM

I use them on youngsters due to the fact that when they play their legs and feet go everywhere. The boot protect against knocking of cannons and splints, and also sticks and rocks that might get thrown against their legs and of course getting stuck in fences.

I use a set of 4 sheepskin lined canvas boots and usually have a couple of sets spare for ease of cleaning and repairs. When my girls where stabled (back when I had stables) I would change them over and put on soft cushioned boots, once again to prevent knocks etc.

This may seem extreme but my horses are show hacks, and any blemish can set you back from the winners ribbon!

sweetypie16 09-04-2007 12:49 AM

Yeh i agree with frog, Cause we stable the competion horses every night we use excercise boots, they are pratically just foam with cotton lining over. Just to stop cuts and every thing.

So with the whole leaving boots on in the paddock, only do it if the horse is worth heaps

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-04-2007 04:07 AM

frog that's sounds like what i'm looking for, also abby being 3 is always tearing around with her brother, my daughter showed her this summer and my son can start showing her in a few years, and yes i rather protect her leg's now then lose points over it some times down the road

sweetypie16 09-04-2007 10:56 PM

Yeh thats a good idea if you are going to show the foal then :lol:

Frog 09-06-2007 11:23 PM

If you have a saddler that you know, they are very easy to make.

The ones I get are from Rags 4 Nags, have a look on website www.braefootpark.eques.com.au click on links and Rags 4 Nags will show up, she has a complete range of items and it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

sweetypie16 09-07-2007 12:17 AM

I LOVE THAT SITE!! I make my wish list for santa on that site every year lol :lol: