The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Certified Farriers Please Reply, need help!! *vent* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/certified-farriers-please-reply-need-help-30023/)

paint gurl 23 06-21-2009 03:07 AM

Certified Farriers Please Reply, need help!! *vent*

I just got my geldings trimmed here about a week and a half ago and my one gelding is still dead lame.

I am going to clarify a few things first off..this gelding is my show gelding, he has never been lame, sick or ill in any way and has good sized hard feet ( well did) I have never had any probs with his feet being sore due to trimming and before he was trimmed he was walking across gravel without a wince.

I called my farrier shortly after they were trimmed to let him know that both my geldings are lame and I would like him to come out and have a look to see whats going on and he said " give them a week, if they are still lame I will come out and put shoes on". So, a week passes and I phone him back after no improvements and he comes out and pears out more sole and blames his pen being too soft that he isnt healing/hardening (well obviously). My one gelding seems good to go but my show gelding is not looking so good and its coming two weeks since his trim.

I have a few concerns. My first and most highest concern is the sweat like marks he is leaving on the rubber mat when I have him in the barn...this tells me he has very soft soles and only on the front, his back feet are hard...I am not understanding whats going on because he was fine before he got trimmed?? my other concern is that he is standing like he is foundered sometimes when I tie him (front and back feet stretched out) like he is trying to get the pressure or pain off his toes...? He doesnt always stand like this but he does and im very worried. He was fine before I got him trimmed, I had him trimmed by a different farrier who did an amazing job but couldnt get a hold of him this go around so I got this guy. (big mistake)

I dont give my horses much grain at all (like a cup of grain with flax once or twice a week), he isnt on pasture he is in a pen with my other gelding and yes the ground isnt great but it isnt bad either...I dont hand graze them much either unless they have worked hard I will let them graze for about 10-20 min. I was worried about him foundering but how?? I thought foundered horses only founder from high sugary feeds?? Please clarify!!

I need some help on figuring out whats going on here. I dont want a navic horse!! I cant figure out why his soles are so soft. I have been soaking them in epsom salts to make sure hes not abscessing as he has had them before (last year in the spring he had 6 come out in 3 months) was just shortly after I bought him. His soft soles have happened over the last few weeks and just cant find any answers as to what to do with him. Hes getting better very very slowly, seems to walk almost normal on grass but wow is he sore on the front...he was standing with his front left (the one that looks short and sore) further in front of his other one all week last week, since he peared out the sole he is standing with his feet normal and square but stands like hes foundered once in a while when I tie him.

I need some answers or help of any kind. This horse means the world to me and its killing me to see him hurt and not being able to do anything or find answers. Please help!!

Nutty Saddler 06-21-2009 04:45 AM

Firstly just to make clear - I'm not a registered farrier but I do trim my own horses feet ( I have 8 ) .

Sounds like your horse has been trimmed too much. There is a method of thinking ' Strasser method ' ( probably spelled incorrect ) that really cuts into the foot/hoof and nearly lames all the horses trimmed this way -they do recover after time.

Any chance of some pics so we can have a look at the trim.

Founder is normally diet related , navicular syndrome is poorly understood as to causes.

Good to be concerned but both founder and navicular normally take a bit of time to manifest themselves - If your horse went lame after the trim then I would point the finger at the farrier - no where else.

Also i would be concerned where about this farrier as you called him back and firstly he didn't seen concerned that your horse was lame and when he did return he cut more sole of the foot.

One thing that you should do is CALL A VET . If you are concerned about your horse being lame then a vet is the best person to advise you

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-21-2009 08:06 AM

Hmm, maybe try a different farrier ;S

iridehorses 06-21-2009 08:36 AM

Good advise by Nutty Saddler. What are the chances of having your original farrier come out to have a look? Regardless of the outcome, I certainly would never have that last farrier out again.

Qtswede 06-21-2009 08:46 AM

I'm with Iridehorses here. Try to get your old guy out to look it over. Maybe he can make him more comfortable, or give you suggestions to get him more comfortable while the sole grows out.

Anvil 06-21-2009 09:54 AM

i'm not a cf farrier but i do trim feet sounds like they r trimmed real short. were his feet long before he was trimmed?

paint gurl 23 06-21-2009 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone. I generally get them trimmed every 6-8 weeks as normal but this go around I waited till 8 weeks because I was trying to get the other guy I had trim him before out but I couldnt get a hold of him. There feet werent bad they probably could have waited longer no prob. When this other guy come out and trim, he took, and im not kidding, a good half inch of toe off both his front feet and then just sort of left his heals from what it looks like. I do have pics but not sure how to load them on here. Im like "geez I didnt think they were that long" as I was a little shocked!! Can him being trimmed too short cause him any further soreness or problems in his legs or body for the future?? I am so worried about him..

Nutty Saddler 06-21-2009 01:21 PM

Talk to a farrier ( different one ) and a vet ASAP.

If the toe was cut back and the heel left then your horses feet are probably going to be too upright - if not corrected this could lead to a pedal bone rotation ( worst case ) and excess shock to the legs which will in the short term make him uncomfortable .

there shouldnt be a problem with another trim if done by a pro and only the heels are corrected - make sure you tell the farrier the full story and about your concerns.

the toe can be cut back quite a lot so don't worry too much , however I would be more concerned about a proper angle on the foot.

Again call a vet and a pro farrier, better to be safe than sorry , difficult to give a proper assessment if no pictures are supplied.

paint gurl 23 06-21-2009 01:30 PM

Nutty Saddler- I am going to make some calls today and see what I can do and try and get someone out to have a look. Thanks for all your advice. Do you have an email address so I can send my pics of his feeties to you? I dont know how to upload them on here.

paint gurl 23 06-21-2009 01:36 PM

UPDATE: I have contacted my other farrier and he can make it out on Wednesday to see whats going on. Will keep everyone posted!