The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Un-mounted exercises for Dressage Riders Focus on Leg (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/un-mounted-exercises-dressage-riders-%96-300241/)

frlsgirl 10-23-2013 04:35 PM

Un-mounted exercises for Dressage Riders Focus on Leg

Im looking for good leg exercises that I can do in between lessons as I only ride once per week. Most of the traditional dressage exercises focus on core which is great but I would like to figure out a way to work out my legs to achieve that long stretched down leg that softly drapes around the horse.
Im already doing all of the classic mounted leg exercises (ride without stirrups, leg circles, lift leg and gently allow to drape back down, stretch it backwards) - I do these exercises before every lesson for about 5 to 10 minutes.
I work out a lot but havent figured out a way to recreate the same stretch that I feel when Im doing my mounted exercises.
Any suggestions?

BornToRun 10-23-2013 04:42 PM

This one is for hips and I really like it. I've incorporated it into my own fitness plan and I have found that my hips and thighs aren't as sore after I ride after taking time off from the saddle.

frlsgirl 10-24-2013 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=BornToRun;3942513]This one is for hips and I really like it. I've incorporated it into my own fitness plan and I have found that my hips and thighs aren't as sore after I ride after taking time off from the saddle.

Thanks - I tried that exercise last night and I could definitely feel the burn, so it must be working.

polowrapfiend 11-07-2013 10:32 AM

i usually use the stairs to stretch, ( most of my tightness is in my calves), i just put my toes on the edge of the lowest step i can reach and just push down with my heels to stretch my calf muscles. i do it randomly during the week but i find if i do it directly before i have a lesson my leg cramping during the lesson goes down immensely. it helps me out just wanted to share a lower leg remedy that helps me out :)

frlsgirl 11-07-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polowrapfiend (Post 4046505)
i usually use the stairs to stretch, ( most of my tightness is in my calves), i just put my toes on the edge of the lowest step i can reach and just push down with my heels to stretch my calf muscles. i do it randomly during the week but i find if i do it directly before i have a lesson my leg cramping during the lesson goes down immensely. it helps me out just wanted to share a lower leg remedy that helps me out :)

Cool thanks - I'll give it a try.