The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double cream on a brown horse?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  verona1016 
#1 ·
So just curious, I know to copies of the cream gene on a sorrel based horse makes cremello, and two copies of the cream gene on a bay makes a Perlino, But hat happens with two copies of the cream gene on a brown horse? Or is it still perlino, since brown is a mutation of agouti in a bay?

#7 ·
I imagine they usually just get lumped in under the term perlino. A lot of seal brown horses do already get mistakenly identified as bay, and without genetic testing on a perlino-looking horse specifically for At (or knowing that both parents could only have passed on At or a) you'd never be able to tell just from looking.

I'd think of a brown-based buckskin if I heard someone using the term "seal brown cream" tbh. Nothing in that name implies 2 copies of the cream gene :-p

#9 ·
I heard someone call my name :wink: Poseidon even beat me to pictures haha!

Henny's dam is a brown based perlino. She's never been tested for it, but Henny is an obvious brownskin and she's where he got his agouti from. Is there much of a phenotypic difference? Not really. If you really, really look at her, then you can see she has an allover slightly darker tone to her than most perlinos do. At least, that's what I can see.

#10 ·
If she's never been tested, she could also be AAt (which would make her a 'regular' perlino since classic bay agouti is dominant)

#11 ·
Oh sorry, she was genetically tested to be Aa. I meant she wasn't tested for brown, specifically. Sorry to confuse!
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.