The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Breeding Miniatures.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breeding-miniatures-30067/)

ilovemyPhillip 06-21-2009 06:48 PM

Breeding Miniatures..

I have heard when you breed a miniature you have to be extra careful when it come to breeding her (a mare in general). I know for starters, you have to watch the size of the stud you are looking at, and make sure its around her size, so the foal isnt too large for her to birth. But i heard there are a lot of complications in the actual birth of a foal. What should someone look out for to prevent a dead mom and foal. And what are some complications.

Thanks,
Anny

cayuseranch 06-21-2009 06:53 PM

I don't have miniatures, but I have heard that red bag is more common in miniatures.

CheyAut 06-22-2009 01:58 AM

Foaling out minis is VERY risky, yes much more so than full size. They can have all the problems a full size horse can, but it happens more often. Red bags, dystocias... scary stuff. You MUST BE THERE, no ifs ands or buts, you MUST BE THERE no matter what! And you darn well better know what to do in each situation, there usually isn't time for your vet to get there so you better be correcting whatever problem arises while you wait for the vet to arrive!

ilovemyPhillip 06-22-2009 10:17 AM

Wow, so for first-timers you should have a vet there (not necessarily but for the greater good.)?

CheyAut 06-22-2009 12:10 PM

It would be pretty much impossible to have the vet there. You won't really know when it's going to happen, and once it starts it's FAST and the vet likely won't have time to get there. So YOU NEED to know what to do and YOU NEED to be there. It's exciting but VERY scary! And there are so many heartbreaks involved :(

weefoal 06-22-2009 02:37 PM

its not so much the heights you have to worry about its more bone structure. Generally you want to breed the finest boned stallion you can find to your mares. Never breed a heavy boned stallion to a fine boned mare.

Some of the problems are as said above. A big one is many miniatures cant break the bag so they suffocate if no on is there to break it open for them. This is why if at all possible you have to be there for the birth.

The other problem is if a foal is not aligned correctly you dont have near as much room to get your arm in there and fix it. But it can be done.

Over the years we have only had 1 that we could not correct ourselves and it was a stillborn. Those are difficult because the foal is dead before labor starts so it does not move into the birth canal

ilovemyPhillip 06-22-2009 02:46 PM

Oh wow. I think its irresponsible to have any animal YOU had bred to birth it alone.

BTW i love your stallion, weefoal :) hes so pretty

weefoal 06-22-2009 02:55 PM

Thank you so much! I wish you could meet him as hes such a sweetheart!

We have a live foaling cam where people can watch our mares foal. Our next mare will be on cam in a few days. Shes due July 6th. I love having the live cam as it helps to have as many eyes watching as you can.

weefoal 06-22-2009 07:18 PM

Just wanted to clarify that I posted about our live cam as you can learn a lot about foaling out miniatures and ponies by watching these live cams :)

Kay

ilovemyPhillip 06-22-2009 07:39 PM

Oh ok thanks :)