The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   What do you do with your horse's mane (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/what-do-you-do-your-horses-30080/)

QHDragon 06-21-2009 08:55 PM

What do you do with your horse's mane

Just wondering what everybody else does with their horse's mane. I know dressage judges want the tack and apperance to be very classy and minimal, but I finally have a horse with a nice mane, and I kinda wanna keep it long. Any suggestions?

~*~anebel~*~ 06-21-2009 09:32 PM

I showed a QH with a long mane in a dressage show once. Running braids are really tacky unless you have a fresian, andalusian or other baroque breed. So I did regular "dressage" braids on it. It took a lot of thread and patience but I got them to look good and stay in.
I also used to have a complex about keeping manes long, until my dressage coach sat me down and said that if I wanted to do dressage I'd have to suck it up and then proceeded to chop off my horse's mane. Now I think it looks tacky for a dressage horse to have a long mane, and it is so much easier to have a pulled mane to braid.

barefoot 06-21-2009 09:37 PM

In lower levels a long mane is fine. I've seen plenty of stocky horses come in with long manes. I would personally braid if its a slimmer horse like a TB.

MIEventer 06-21-2009 10:33 PM

Personally, I always braid for dressage shows.

What about that - not sure of the name of this particular braid - that diamond shape banding that I've seen before?

StormyBlues 06-22-2009 09:39 AM

A basket weve braid is what you want to do, it is very elegant on any horse

saint3meg3rlfc 06-22-2009 11:16 AM

I braid. I find it just looks cleaner

Scoutrider 06-22-2009 12:51 PM

I like the looks of sewn in flat braids, but my horses get a lot of turnout time, on top of being bug magnets, so their manes stay long for the fly protection it offers. I've tried doing button braids, but they come out looking bulky and stupid because of the long hair. I end up doing a running braid the morning of the show. Running braids are really making a comeback in my area, I see them on all breeds of horses in almost every English class, even here in QH Land, lol.

aynelson 06-22-2009 11:27 PM

I like what Scoutrider stated! I am done trimming my horse's beautiful mane - a longer mane does help ward off mean flies. It ultimately depends on how thick the mane is, but button braids are my favorite. The running braid looks great as well, and I don't think we should reserve it for only certain breeds.

Spyder 06-23-2009 01:04 AM

For most of my showing career I rode with the mane roached. I never had to sit and braid and braid and braid...LOL :-P

MIEventer 06-23-2009 01:44 AM

You know, the more and more I think about roaching Nelson's mane, the more and more I like the idea :)

You are ingenious Spyder! I get tired of meticulously weaving yarn into Nelson's mane, just to do Button Braids for 1 show. Blah.....