The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Rubbing tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/rubbing-tail-30083/)

JumpingJellyBean 06-21-2009 09:41 PM

Rubbing tail

I have noticed recently that my pony is rubbing his butt against the fence and is starting to loose some of his tail at the top. Is he itchy there? Is there anyway to stop him from doing this so he doesn't rub his tail off?

Jillyann 06-21-2009 09:53 PM

AHHH! mostly all the horses at my barn are doing this as well! luckily not my horse. but i was wondering the same thing! My trainer said that the little black nat bugs sometimes like to burrow in the top part of the tail because of whatever reasons, and it makes it very itchy for the horses. BUT i really dont know. I would like to hear what others say about this!!!

Scoutrider 06-21-2009 10:05 PM

Some varieties of worms (pinworms, I think) can cause horses to rub their tails. I had one that apparently just had dandruff, lol. I massaged baby oil into his tailbone daily and that seemed to control the rubbing. I have one now that acts insanely itchy all over after a good workout (untacking becomes a speed event before my leather stuff is scraped over everything in reach, lol), face, shoulders, chest, and butt, lol.

barefoot 06-21-2009 10:13 PM

I hate when horses do that. I don't think there is much anyone can do about that.

MN Tigerstripes 06-21-2009 10:15 PM

He may need his sheath cleaned. Both mares & geldings will rub their tails if they are dirty (mare's udders, gelding's sheaths).

horseinforest 06-22-2009 02:00 PM

It happened to my colt a few times,he felt miserable and so was I. He would rub his tail and then he started to rub his mane.bugs' bites and worms can cause itching among some other reasons(reactions to forrages), it is hard to say.I tried different things and found derfen; It works lightning fast:within a few days, nomore itching;you just have to wait longer before the sheen gets back.

Angel_Leaguer 06-22-2009 02:44 PM

Besides everything listed check for ticks... Ticks seem to like burrowing in on that part of the tail.

IrishRider 06-22-2009 03:35 PM

When my mare did this same thing last year I bought some Betadine and scrubbed the top and sides of her tail really well a couple of times. Whatever was causing the itch and hair falling out was gone within a week or so and her tail came back to normal.

GiddyUp4Fun 06-23-2009 04:52 PM

I agree with Tigerstripes, it's been about 6-9 months since I've cleaned my boys sheaths and noticed today that two of them were rubbing their butts against their grain buckets. He may just need to have his cleaned, it's not a fun job but needs to be done. Guess I'm off to do another never ending job of caring for my boys :)

Deej 06-23-2009 05:05 PM

PIN WORMS will cause thise. also many horses have allergies and you can treat those with a variety of antihistimines ect. check them out in your horse catalogs.