The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Name that pup! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/name-pup-30098/)

twogeldings 06-22-2009 01:12 AM

Name that pup!

I'm having troubles with my puppy's name. 'Bunny' sounds to similar to 'Lani (laa-nee)' and whenever I call Bunny...my Dane Lani comes running too!

So heres the first official 'Name that pup!' thread! :D

She's a Spaniel/Labrador mix I think (at least thats what she looks like). Quite intelligent and very high energy. I'm beginning work on obedience training now that she's settled into the home. The basic sit, down, stay, and heel. As well as the meaning of 'No!' (no barking at Lani, no eating the chair, no eating my shoes...). She's getting the hang of it pretty quickly. I gave her some pretty warm praise when she laid on the chair she normally tries to chew on and gnawed on her toy instead.

I'm also planning on doing hunting dog training (taking her obedience training a step up, more or less) pretty soon. Tracking, fetching on command, dropping, and silent cues. Perhaps some small obstacle courses later on, and things like steadiness at gunfire and not racing after wildlife with heels on fire (unless asked to). With her energy level it would certainly be healthy and stimulating mentally for her.

Better to have a dog that can do all sorts of useless stuff than one that rockets out of control off the walls! :lol: I can't wait until her basic obedience is down par so I can do really silly things like play dead and sit up.

For pictures, refer to page 2 of my 'New puppy!' thread...don't have time to upload them at the moment >.<

1dog3cats17rodents 06-22-2009 01:29 AM

Well, I always learned that it's good to have a name with sharp vowels because it is easily to recognize, like "Katie" or Jake. Names like John or Bo are harder for the dog to pick out. Also names that sound like commands (Bo, Clown, Steel)
To keep /lani from being confused, you probably want a name that doesn't end in the "ee" sound. Unfirtunately, most good dog names tend to end in that sound

Soooo, how about
Kate
Erin
Erica (ca sound is nice and sharp)
Clairice (sp?)
Morgan
Sasha

Sorry, I'm bad at names

morganshow11 06-22-2009 09:13 PM

Whisper?