The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with bit problem!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-bit-problem-30104/)

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-22-2009 03:01 AM

Help with bit problem!!

Hi,
My instructor said that my horse will apparently be too strong for me in the bush so i have to use a certain type of bit.
I am not comfortable with using this bit even if it is just in an arena, so what bit should i use then.
I try to avoid that bit as much as possible because apparently it is cruel,
so I ride my horse in a halter, but when i go out in the bush i actually want a bridle on and i don't want to use that bit.

Any reccomendations for bits?
oh and i also have a hackamore, but i don't feel confident enough to use that yet.

Thankyou.

ChingazMyBoy 06-22-2009 03:07 AM

What type of bit did your instructor suggest? How much too stronge do you think your horse will be for you?

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-22-2009 03:09 AM

Well, my instructor said because i am not capable enough that is why she will be too strong, but when i ride her in a halter,only walking and trotting, she is fine. I am ashamed to say this but the bit she recommended is a double twisted snaffle. And I DO NOT LIKE IT.

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-22-2009 03:11 AM

P.S when i am only walking trotting in a halter she seems fine, but she gets spooked easily so it may be different in the bush.

ChingazMyBoy 06-22-2009 03:31 AM

I agree I would not use that bit, personally with my horse I would never use anything but the plain snaffel bit but that is with my horse. I will have a think of what types of bits you could use. When are you going?

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-22-2009 03:32 AM

just like casual, i will go whenever.

ChingazMyBoy 06-22-2009 03:39 AM

Ah okay, I thought you were going for a reason, although Casual is a reason.

AztecBaby 06-22-2009 06:43 AM

Hi,

Well, where to start... First of all, are you going in a group or by yourself? If you are going in a group I see no reason why you shouldnt be able to ride her in a halter, there will be people there to help you if you need help and its not like your gonna be galloping around all over the place (well i hope not lol) The other thing that is worrying is that your trainer thinks an extremely harsh bit is the answer to your horse being a bit strong O.o strange... If you are going out on a trail by yourself and you dont feel comfortable with using the halter like you have been why not get a french link snaffle to use on her, it will give you more control if you need it but its not going to rip her mouth apart : ] I would be highly against you using a double twisted snaffle, it was really good of you to come and ask for other opinions though before sticking that piece of junk it your horses mouth : ]

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-22-2009 07:22 AM

Yeah, its just like going out, so somedays i will go riding in the arena and some other days i will go out in the bush.I am moving her soon where there is a grassed paddock, where she is able to run for a while without stopping, so that worries me.

Scoutrider 06-22-2009 07:27 AM

It is worrying that your trainer immediately jumped to using a stronger bit for control. I would stay with a plain snaffle or a french link (or the halter, for that matter :D) and teach your horse how to do a one rein stop at the walk, trot, and canter (if you feel comfortable). If your horse knows how to do this, and your cueing for the ORS becomes second nature in an emergency, you should be pretty well able to stop the horse, even in a halter. Do take the time to teach it to your horse, though. If they don't know how to react to the cue, there is a chance that the horse could flip over. Once they learn it, the one rein stop is a foolproof emergency brake. I taught my spooky horse and it really helped.

Good luck!