The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Right Size Horse For Me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/right-size-horse-me-301217/)

PonyJumpers 10-25-2013 12:44 PM

Right Size Horse For Me?

Hi!
I'm looking at buying a horse but I'm not sure on height.

I'm 4'11" and 109lbs
I've ridden everything from 12.2hh to 17hh! I've never preferred one over the other (although I do adore ponies but I'm comfortable on horses as well).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! :D

Thanks in advance-Sammy :-)

BlueSpark 10-25-2013 01:12 PM

It depends partially on what your doing. Are you trail riding? If so, a horse you can mount from the ground is an asset. I stay under 16hh.

If not, then just find a horse you like, that does what you want, and be happy. My cousin is 5'2" and her main saddle horse is 18hh. A friend is 5'2" and her main mount is 14.2hh. My BO is nearly 6' and she rides anything from 14hh ponies to 17.2hh ottb's.

Ride what you love, and at your weight, don't worry about size.

TessaMay 10-25-2013 01:46 PM

With your weight, you can ride just about anything. You may be more comfortable on a shorter horse, it would certainly make it easier to get on, but you could obviously ride something bigger if you wanted.

Count yourself lucky, you can look at just about any horse or pony as long as it's the right level for your abilities.

Zexious 10-25-2013 02:55 PM

Yes, height really shouldn't be your concern when looking for a horse, given /your/ height. I would be more concerned with finding a horse that is appropriate for your riding level/needs.

Endiku 10-25-2013 03:03 PM

I'm 4'11 as well and like you I've ridden a variety of sized. The nice thing for us is since we're so small, there really isn't ANY horse size that is off limits for us. So you can just pick whatever size you are most comfortable with, and get the size that goes best with the discipline you choose. I personally like the big guys better than the little ones...my favorite mount is a 16.2 1/2 hh tall TB mare, but that doesn't mean you'll feel the same way!

verona1016 10-25-2013 03:30 PM

I ride dressage and taller horses are certainly "in fashion" right now, but I'm only 5'2" (with short legs!) and don't really need a tall horse. The last horse I leased before buying was 16.2 or 16.3hh and I never did feel like I could get my leg on him properly, plus I thought I looked silly in photos. I ended up getting a 15hh horse and feel like I match him well size-wise.

PonyJumpers 10-26-2013 12:02 PM

Thanks everyone!

I'll be doing mostly trail and jumping.I currently jump 18" and I'm looking for a horse that can take me up a couple heights,maybe 2'6" MAX.

I've done 2'-2'3" comfortably on the 13.2hh pony I currently ride but my trainer (I'm not sure why) isn't letting me advance.So my mom has decided to change barns and I can look into buying if we find a barn with reasonable board (my current barn is 800 a month so its wayyyyy out of price range) Any breed recommendations?